Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

To ALL developers

Hi everyone, .....A request please, could you please start to indicate whether your additions are for PC systems, MAC systems or can be used by BOTH. Just thought it would help people determine which files are suitable for there system before downloading. Perhaps this is something AVSIM can indicate by means of an ICON on their file library pages. It may help reduce downloads if people knew if it was compatable and therefore free-up your systemJust a thoughtRegardsJohn

Hi John,A good point. Though database updates (DEX files) don't fall under the normal area of new development like aircraft and utilities, the point should probably be made that no DB Updates will function in the MAC environment for Fly!II.Frank Racis' great DexImport program, required for these updates, is only PC-compatible. He has given the code over to someone who is attempting to port it to the MAC, but it appears that will be complicated - I don't know if this individual is having any success.Updates for the Fly!2K DB, however, can be used in the MAC environment with DB Import.

Randall Rocke

Hi Randall,The person who is meant to be porting it is me!! :-)I'm still messing about with getting used to programming on the Mac (when I can get time on it), so it's probably best not to hold your breath... although I do want to port it because Frank's been very generous and made changes to his code to make it less PC specific.Cheers,Matthew.

Hi Randall,Yes Ive used the DBImport many times in FLY2k...lets hope that who ever is trying to convert it to a MAC compatable stage is successful.Thanks for the InfoJohn

Hi Matthew,Thanks for reminding me - I probably should have made a note on who was trying this. Good luck! Regardless of whether you're successful or not, it should be a good learning experience.

Randall Rocke

Guest Eagle

This is probably a stupid question, but I have to ask. Can Code Warrior be used to convert the PC code for use on a Mac?

Hi,For code to be compilable on both the PC and Mac platforms it must be non-platform specific. However the interface needs to be programmed for each platform, and file io on the Mac is not quite as simple as it is on the PC...well, o.k., it's not difficult... just 'think different', I can't seem to use standard C funtions such as fopen and supply it with a path name, I have to mess with FSSpecs volume numbers, directory numbers etc. so if anything involved writing files, it all has to be ported over. I'm going to get through a few PowerPlant tutorials, so that should make things better on the interface side of things, but (I can't believe I'm going to say this!!) Microsoft's Visual C++ development environment seems a whole lot simpler and easier to use!!Cheers,Matthew.