Sign in to follow this  

Me again!

Hello, Does anyone knoew of any good books for a new person to learn C/C++? Online or any books that I can buy? I have an ambition for Fly!II, a plane I have always wanted to be detailed! You can guess by my s/n! ANy help? Matthew

Matthew,I can't answer your question - I'm just amazed that you'll just learn C++ for such a great project! (not hard to guess which aircraft!!!)You are a very talented designer (maybe not all fly!ers are aware of it :-)) and I'm very happy that you have a project for Fly! II !!!Thanks!And I hope one of the programmers here answers this one!Best Regards!Pascal

Hi Matthew,I've got 'Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours', it's by Jesse Liberty and published by Sams. It's quite good. I actually started with a Wrox Press Tutorial I got when I purchased MS Visual C++ 6.0, but this was really quite dry.I think the most important thing though is that you've got a good reason to learn it - I've found that the best way to learn was once I'd learnt some 'skeleton code' I would then actually program something that I needed/or wanted to use (for Fly!), using the book as a reference, looking bits up when I got stuck. (I find this far more interesting than fighting my way through tutorial after tutorial, which are fairly abstract, so that they are simple enough to understand, so I could say I've learnt it, now I'll try and use what I've learnt - learn as you do it is better).I didn't really know any C++ before I started messing around with the Fly!2K SDK, and I consider myself to have come on amazingly (so much so I'm writing my own windows app in the form of a panel maker for Fly!II now).Hope this helps,Cheers,Matthew.

Hello, Thanks-guys!!! I am downloading that file as I type! Thanks Pascal BTW. I think my first step should be the panel background. I shall draw CAD drawing of the panel, then use it as a template for my 3D model of it in 3DS Max, then take snap shots etc What format do these need to be in? Do I need a special program? I have Fly! Graphics will this do? Then I will construct a model. I have an A320 Mechanic and an A320 Pilot helping me and I have already obtained measurements of the windows etc. Can i use 3DS Max to construct the model? I don't really care how long this project takes! I don't really want to skip on any details! Even if it takes me a couple of years, just means I can fly the A320 like real pilots do :-D Thanks Again, Matthew

Hi Matthew.If you're serious about doing all the artwork for this project, I'll help you out (and I'm sure others will) where you need advice on 'programming' the systems for Fly!II.With regards to the artwork, I would create the panel and cockpit in 3DStudio Max as you say, then if you can save it as a 256 colour bitmap, I have a couple on 'nice' tools (or you can probably use Fly!Graphics) to convert the bitmaps to the format required by Fly!II (pbm). As for switches etc. these need to be produced as a series of bitmaps for all the positions of the switch, once again, if you can create these as if they were a 'roll' of film (with the frames in sequence) and save it as a 256 colour bitmap, I have another tool to convert it to the format requried by Fly!II (pbg). (I'm planning to ship these tools with my 'panel maker' software anyway). I 'might' be able to code the PFD, ND and ECAM displays for you (only if I have time though!!! I'm already working on the DC10 project, which is my priority, and I'm going to be very busy with other things from September :-)).As for the model, I believe Jean Sabatier wrote a tutorial on doing this, and he'll probably be happy to help you out with any questions if you post them on this forum.Hope this gives you some ethusiasm to 'go for it'! It really isn't that difficult once you get into it..... jsut time consuming!!Cheers,Matthew.

Hello, Thanks Matthew, I have got started tonight, I have front panel around the ECAM modelled, I plan to get the Captain and F/O sides down as well as the glareshield doen tonight so I can tweak it tomorrow. Just wondering on the panel can you put a mask over the panel to control panel lighting? Can it be a colour mask? Thanks, Matthew

Hi Matthew,I'm not aware of a mask that could control the lighting.Can you post any progress pics of your work?Cheers,Matthew.

dont know if you can really use it or not, but i would be willing to help you out some on your 320 project. i dont know a darn thing bout c,c+, or c++, but i do know airplanes;) so if you could use an extra hand, just drop me a line.....crazytwon@hotmail.comanthony