Sign in to follow this  

Ground markings

Is there a method or program to add custom ground lines for instance the parking markers at airport jetways or the guide lines for moving around an apron or ramp?-Matt

MattI have the same problem and applying a texture to the apron (like ROTW did it in Cannes) causes flickering.I think it is possible, but someone has to write a program for this or add this functionality to the taxiway editor.I played a little with a hexeditor in the taxiway files and i removed the taxiway edge-markings at my LOGF-scenery. You also can add some lines by this method.The problem is, as soon as you open this file again with the Taxiway editor, all your changes get lost. So I never posted how i did it.I hope, sometime there will be a extension to the taxiway editor to perform this tasks.Harald

Thanks for the info Harald, hopefully Peter will update his Taxiway Editor in the near future to accomodate this. Just recently I'd found that you can make decent markings using actual 3D objects which I've done in 3D Studio Max. Make a super flat square and place it just a tiny bit above 0 on the Y axis in your modeler. Using just a simple box object shouldn't place too much high demand on the 3D engine though having Fly generate them would be useful.-Matt

I used matt's method with PMDG's Greek Scenery, but i think with the new patch, you create a flat plane and make it even with the ground, and then flag it in its .scf file with a tag that is noted in the readme for the latest patch...VinPMDGwww.precisionmanuals.comhttp://www.vinscimone.com/dancnkid.gif

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

Vin,Thanks for the headsup, I reviewed the readme and found exactly what I need. I ran into the issue of collisions (the poor 777 tried to drive on top of the marking, hehe) and these new tags for the MLF file should fix that. -Matt

Matt - You can use Terramodels to accomplish this task easily. The key is turning of the Z-Buffer display option, which will eliminate the flickers.This is all covered in the Terramodels documentation if you want to take a lookCheers,Allen

Hi Allen,I was aware of your ground markings feature however I was looking for a little more flexibility in creating and placing the markings. First of all you commented in your manual that transperancy was an issue out of the scope of discussion for the forum (I'm just plain lazy to ask on some things).Second placing the markings would be a challenge using your application. I've designed a custom polygon terminal model and it is important that I got the correct placement which is far more easier to attain in 3D than playing position tag in Terramodels. I will however be using Terramodels for everything else involved, I still have alot to work to do yet including the ground clutter around the airport, taxiway signs, etc.Thanks anyway,-Matt