Sign in to follow this  
Peter Z KCLE_EDDN

Reality XP Radios...Worth it?

Guest ScottPilot

Hello Again!OK, I have seen several post about the Reality XP radios and have visited their website. They look pretty cool, but are they really worth the $35?I have been adding Coyote Avionics FREEWARE Garmin radio stack, GPS, and autopilot guages with many of my aircraft, and really like them.So, is it worth the $35 for the "Purchase" upgrade radio stack from Reality XP, and of so, are the feature differences of the radios very different?If you are happy (or not) with the Reality XP radios, I would sure like to know before I purchase them!Thanks for your input!Scott :-) :-)ATP/CFII - In the real aviation world!Filename: mooney Bravo upgrade.zip (Downloaded from AVSIM)Here are a couple of screen shots of the FREEWARE Garmon radios:

The reality xp stack is a representation of the real world ups/apollo stack. The gps is a real gps and not the ms gps adapted, as is the transponder, nav/com and audio panel. As I am now flying with the real gps unit I have appreciated the fact that I can train on the reality xp on my home computer and not waste valuable air time (not to mention head down time)in the real plane. The xp panel adds a new reality of instrumentation to fs that frankly hasn't been there before.As to worth it-I at least buy lots of aircraft, and some scenery-but usually find after using them a while I don't use them anymore.The xp stack I use on every aircraft, and every flight. It is not something I will discard after a while. They are complex enough to hold interest for a long time, but more importantly, real world instrumentation that can be placed in any aircraft.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

IMO, the RealityXP Radios are worth every penny. Although, if you are more of the casual simmer (doesnt fly very often), then it might not be the best thing to get. I have been using them since their release (almost!), and the designers of it have done a magnificent job on them!http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/edenw/fs_banner_je2.jpg Think highly of yourself, for the world takes you at your estimate -Anon

Guest ScottPilot

Real GPS database,huh....That may be worth the purchase right there!Thanks for the reply!Scott :-)ATP/CFII - In the real aviation world

Guest ScottPilot

Thanks for your input!I am pretty much convinced to purchase the Reality XP Radios. I already have the software downloaded, just need to log on and do the final step!Scott :-)ATP/CFII - In the real aviation world

Scott -I have both the Coyote and the RealityXP Avionics, and IMHO the XP's are definitely worth it.The Reality people gave me great after-sales service, advising me on the procedure to install on a non-internet PC.I use them on the Debonair, and this increases the realism factor yet another notch.The GPS is similar to the FLY version, but with moving map display that even shows airspace boundaries.Regards,Schofi

Guest KenG

Like Geof, I too fly in a plane that has an Apollo GPS (GX55) that is VERY similar to the RealityXP version. During the end of my PPL training, I purchased the RealityXP stack and started messing around with it. As Geof said, I too was able to translate features I learned about with RealityXP's GPS to the real-world version. In the end I had learned features my CFI didn't know existed. My ability to navigate the different displays and features was far better than his simply because I had more experience, albeit in a simulated world. You can literally learn how to use the GPS unit in MSFS and use that knowledge in a real plane with a real Apollo GSP. That's just to show you how realistic the GPS itself is. Being able to access the many features with greater speed and less effort due to greater familiarity translates in the greater safety in the air. If the RealityXP version was unrealistic, it would mean I was learning improper ways of using the GPS and that would translate into less safety in the air. Thankfully, RealityXP did a good job on keeping it real. The other components are also very realistic, but I have less experience with them in the real world.The RealityXP team have done a magnificent job developing this addon. They also provide excellent technical support. When I had problems with the latest patch (the database wouldn't build), they responded within minutes to my emails. Within 24 hours, they had discovered an error in their database program and released an updated patch.As to the price, it is up to you to decide if you want to pay that much. How important is a realistic radio stack to you. If it isn't worth $35, stick with freeware.Good luck.p.s., I don't work for them and received no money for this endorsement. ;-) I just like to praise companies that I feel have done a great job with their products.

Guest wkzzo

To me realistic avionics is a must. I use the debonair avionics stack on all my GA aircraft now. I have a dual monitor setup -19" sony crt primary and a kds 15" lcd that I run the radio stack on, or in the case of 767 pic I run the fmc ,overhead panel, and throttle quad. The reality xp package is worth it if you want a real word gps that simulates the actual unit as far as fs2002 will let it.. As far as 35 dollars go ,its a matter of what do you consider alot of money( the actual unit is over 15k) so to me this is a considerable bargain.

Guest ScottPilot

Thanks Wallace (and Ken) for the feedback!I also use a dual monitor set-up and I really think it enhances the flight simulator experience.As far as the $35 for the Reality XP radios is concerned, I don't think that is expensive, since it sounds like these radios/GPS are really well done. However, I have spent hundreds of $$ for many add-on's to flight simulator that I end up not using, mainly due to performance issues (such as really bad FPS and stuttering graphics.)Is there much of a frame rate hit with the reality XP radios?I have 767 PIC and the dreamfleet 737 package, but they both just run so poorly on my system (even though I think they are very well done add-ons) I no longer use them. I for the most part, design & modify my own panels using FS Panel studio now.Anyways, I am going to purchase the Reailty XP radios, since after hearing all the opinions at this forum, they sound like a great add-on for FS2K2.Well, I have to get to the airport, got a real flight to do today!Thanks for the input!Scott - Colorado Springs, CO :-)ATP/CFII - In the real aviation world also!My Systems Specs Summary:Intel PIII 1 GHZ (Built myself)512 MB SDRAMVisiontek Extasy GF4 MX440 64MB DDR RAMDual 17" Monitors125 GB Hard Drive(s)Windows XP ProCH Products Flight Sim Yoke & Rudder PedalsMS Force Feedback JoystickMS Flight Simulator 2K2 Pro

I see no frame rate impact at all-on an athlon 1.4.I agree about add ons'-I have many that I don't even use and are collecting dust. The reality xp I use everytime along with Eddie Denny's add in mesh-so they are two of the best values imho.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

Guest KenG

I'm surprised you say PIC performs poorly on your system, which is better than my own in every regard. As long as you don't use the Wilco visual models and use the POSKY version, you should get excellent performance. Mine is usually pegged at 18 fps where it is locked. Even with the default visual models, as long as I stayed in the cockpit performance was excellent. The DF734 is a bit rougher on my system, but that is due in large part to the complexity of the visual model. Nevertheless, I still get it to fly well so long as I stay away from large, complex airports.I agree with Geof, there is NO FPS hit that I've ever noticed with the RealityXP stack.

Guest wkzzo

I see no performance hit at all with the xp stack. I have two comps, one a p4 based 2.0 ghz(dual monitor setup w/geforce 4). The other is a p3 766 mhz. Also pic 767 on both my systems runs smooth as glass almost more fluid than the default aircraft. I also lock my framerates 16 on the p3, 25 on the p4 system

Guest JeanLuc_

No FPS loss neither here with my P4 1.3 They talked about this on their FAQ. It is about their testing of the Flight Line Avionics with a PII 366.Hope it helps!

Guest ScottPilot

Boy, I wish my 767 PIC worked well. My Average FPS with PIC is around 6-8 FPS, in the cockpit. Then the stuttering begins. I have my FPS locked at 20 and my other aircraft stay in the 18-20fps range overall.I bought the CD version of PIC 767 from Babbages, and then downloaded the FS2K2 update from the Wilco website. I am wondering if I am running the same version that you all are talking about.Anyways, thanks for the info on the FPS with the reality XP radios. I am going to give them a try!Scott :-)ATP/CFII - In the real aviation world.

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Scott, let us know!