Sign in to follow this  
Guest Colins2

TerraShape112b - bug fix

Guest Colins2

Hi all,Andrew (Hagar) found a problem with the build I uploaded.It would only happen on coastlines with lots of nested polygons which of course means Norway more than any other coastline!It's fixed now and a new zip has just been uploaded this morning.Anyoue who d/l the build a couple of days ago, should get this latest one from My Hangar SiteColin

Guest Hagar

LOLThere is always a extra struggle about Norway ! First, because of the terrible number of fjords and inaccurate coastlines, and then problems with the elevation data because of so-called "missing cells" since my country is close to the pole. On top of this Southern Norway has two different UTM zones...May the Force be with me :)EDIT: I just tried your new exe, and imported ponetl, pppolyp, rdline,dnnetp and dnnetl, success ! Also the dxf read fine in Autocad. Thx for the research, now I can start my next project on the westcoast...

Thanks Colin! It will probably be a couple of weeks before I'm working in a coastal area - what's the verdict so far (outside of the Norway situation)? Are these adjustments going to be easily distributable to the average Fly!II user?

Randall Rocke

Guest Mgarmy

Hi Collin,Well I am back in business with TSH and look forward to try the new release. Will this version take care of the earlier problems I had with coastal lines around islands?Mannie

Guest Colins2

Randall,It rather depends upon what you do with TerraShape.It currently performs 2 distinct but related functions.1) it will convert shapefiles to dxf for editing and then back again for use with TerraScene. This was the original design idea.For reference purposes, it will also convert the Fly! runway database for a given tile into a dxf file. This allows creation of airport areas, aprons etc. See Andrew's site for examples :D2) I expanded on the original idea and now it will import/convert the Fly! coastline polygons for a given tile into a dxf file. These can be edited as I did with Nice and a new GTP file created.As for sharing, it's easy to post an edited coastline file, they are just a few kb. Nice was 24kb or so as I recall.Edited shapefiles could also be shared as a project. They are quite small and should zip up OK. The edited shapefiles will be the same to use in TerraScene as the d/l ones from Esri.All TerraShape needs now is some creative users:DColin

Guest Colins2

Hi Mannie,TerraShape seems to be working well.After that little bug fix, I haven't had any more problems.I'll have to re-read all of our correspondance to find out what problems you were having specifically.As I recall, I managed to TerraScene Texel OK with the files that I created.Colin

Colin,I just skimmed through about half of the TerraShape manual. That is really an impressive piece of work. I'm looking forward to spending more time with it -- just as soon as I pick up a CAD program. :-)Thanks for doing this.Don

Guest Colins2

Thanks Don,I hope you enjoy using it as much as I did creating it.As for CAD programs, there are plenty around that will work OK.Basically, I use the AutoCAD R12 format files for writing.These are more basic than the later versions,but contain more than enough information for our needs.I have got about 6 or 7 CAD programs, this year alone, from coverdisks, all free and complete programs.The best of these are Intellicad2000, TurboCAD 6.5 and Autosketch 7.I have tested the dxf files output from these programs and they are OK.Although DXF is a standard, all the programs seem to write them slightly differently! It took quite a bit of work to be able to read the outputs in their differing formats.They should all read TerraShape's output though as a basic R12 format dxf.When you save a file, remember to select save as R12 format and everything *should* work OK for you.RegardsColin