Sign in to follow this  
Guest fastdraw

Advice on scenery and hardware, please!

Guest fastdraw

My system: p3,1g,512ram,win98,ti4600 vcard.Since I first tried landclass with mesh I have both purchased it and dl it to enhance the scenery of different areas. Now my system is not the best but it is no slowpoke either and I have sliders set at reasonable levels (midrange) except for autogen which is dense. In most areas the fps is fine and smooth.But I love Norway and particular the Sognefjord area and with default scenery (no mesh,no landclass) I get tons of trees, it's beautiful. BTW config is default values. Scenery and autogen loads very quick as I'm flying. As soon as I put in the lc file(no mesh yet) only 313k the the scenery no longer loads quick, seems to be straining, and trees no longer refresh on the landscape, very slow. The difference with a 313k file is amazing. Not good, and with a 128m gf4 card to boot? If I add the mesh it gets even worse. Switch to another mountainous area such as British Columbia or Italy c/w mesh and lc and it is fine. Question, will going up to say a 2 g cpu fix this or is it just the way it is? Any help or advice is always appreciated, Charles.:-(

That doesn't seem right to me -- are you *sure* you've locked your frame rate at no greater than 21 or so? (Note: you *must* lock the rate or FS will spend all it's time trying to give you very high frame rates and not generate any thing, and as anything over 20 or so is wasted you'll be SOL).I'm no expert, but it seems to me a landclass file by itself shouldn't impact frame rates to any degree. I have the landclass stuff for the US and even with the FSGenesis high density mesh and all sliders set to max I have no problems (then again, I do have a 2.4 ghz machine with 1gig RAM0.

Guest fastdraw

Thanks for your reply,Yes, I have the fps locked at 16, it also takes longer to load the flight but I would expect this is getting the extra texture info.Charles