Sign in to follow this  

TerraScene and The Whitsunday Islands.

I am trying to generate scenery for The Whitsunday Islands, off the Queensland coast of Australia.When I download the shapefiles from the ESRI map,The Whitsundays are show, including Hamilton Is. with it's airport.When I launch TS to create a new project,i.e."Whitsundays" TS does not recognise Hamilton Is.airport(YBHM) although it is in the data base of FLY!11If I use Proserpine(YBPN) with 150 mile radius,The Whitsundays do not appear on the TS map.QUESTION.How do I make the Whitsundays, that were shown on the ESRI map appear?Any help would be appreciated.Rodger Buckley.

Guest Colins2

Rodger,TerraScene uses its own built-in database when it displays the initial map for you to create the project.It does NOT use the Fly! databases at all.That's why the airport doesn't show up.The islands disappearing on the smaller scale display is just the way that TerraScens displays more data on the screen.So long as the shapefile set does show the details that you want when viewed in ArcExplorer then the data is available for use when rendering.Rather than trying to render an area using a radius from an airport, use the drag a box mode at a scale where you can see the islands.You can select any area by de-selecting the snap to grid chackbox or do a complete 1/4 tile containing the islands.Once the area has been rendered and sliced etc. Fly! WILL display the airport.Colin

Colin,Many thanks for your reply.I'm in a Catch 22 situation!How do I do a complete 1/4 tile when I can't see the islands on the TS map?I know The Whitsundays are east of Proserpine airport. I centre on that portion of the map an enlarge it-no islands!!Rodger.

Guest Colins2

Rodger,Find the lat/long of the islands, from an atlas, chart, the internet - anywhere.It doesn't have to be really exact, within a 10 mile radius will do.Start TerraScene and zoom in on the rough area and read the globe tile and lat/long information from the screen.That way you will find the 1/4 tile you want.ColinEdit:Rodger, I just found them :-)They appear to spread across 2 tiles 105:113 and 106:113.If you zoom in with TS and turn on the high detail you will see Prosperine. As you say, the islands are not there, but you can judge where they will be and render to cover the area.It is not necessary to cover a specific area as far as globe tiles go.You can spread your rendered area across the boundaries no problem.It looks really beautiful there, I hope you get the scenery done :DColin

Colin,Many thanks.I have finally got a result using your instructions.The island shapes are very "angular".Is the lack of detail a shapefile problem?I have installed TurboCAD v7 and will try to modify the coastline using your TerraShape-nothing ventured nothing gained.I have had two bareboat yacht charter holidays in The Whitsundays-it's a magical place.Rodger.

Guest Colins2

Rodger,The current version of TerraShape has a problem with Islands.I've fixed this now and a new version will be on my site as soon as I have finished the documentation.Straightforward coastlines and land use polys are not a problem, jusr islands.I hope to have the new version out this week.Colin