Sign in to follow this  

Problems importing texture in ZModeler

First of all, thanks to Harald for the ZModeler tutorial.I've been to my local airport taking pictures of the terminal building to make textures. But I'm encountering problems when I try to import the model after exporting it, as per Harald's tutorial. I get this error message: "Error importing/exporting file: terminal.RAW Possibly caused by: Missing this file or according PAL/ACT file."The .bmp is 512x512, 256 color. I've used the FlyRawGUI to make the .raw and .act-files. I don't have this problem with the hangar.bmp that was provided with the tutorial.Is there something I'm missing or not doing right?John IvanENHD

Hi JohnI never tried a 512x512 texture. I will try tomorrow and let you know the results.There are 2 things I found important:The .ART, .RAW and the exported .BIN-file have to be in the same subdirectory of Zmodeler.I had sometimes problemes with .SMF-Files, that's why I use .BIN for this stage and only export the final product as .SMF.Harald.

I've also tried the texture as 256x256 with same result.All my files are in the same subdir (I even tried using the "Hangar" subdir from your tutorial - which DOES work).My texture was made in Photoshop and saved as 256 color .bmp. I could send you the texture if you want to have a look at it.John IvanENHD

Hi JohnHi JohnPlease send me your texture via AVSIM.I use XP-professional and Zmodeler 1.06f from 31.Aug 2002 !!!!!Make sure, you have this Zmodeler-Version. (Z-Modeler does not change its version, if only minor bugs are fixedand there are some bugs in prior 1.06f-versions. The only reason for this export/import is, to see the texture in the UV-Mapper Window after Surface ... Mapping ... apply UV. I know, this is a workarond, but it makes it easier to apply textures. I hope, some day i find an easier solution - or if its a bug of zmodeler, Oleg fixes it.I discovered 2 problems with Zmodeler and this workaround:1.) If you import a .SMF-File there is an errormessage about .ACT and . RAW not found and you loose all textures. Thats the reason why I export/import a .BIN-File.2.) If you use a 512x512 texture and import the .bin file (in my installation) zmodeler crashes. A workaround ist to export/import a *.mts-File(F1 2001), which in my installation works fine ore to use max 256x256 textures.In both cases there is no problem with the exported .BIN or .SMF-File in Fly. You just can't reimport it in ZModeler to use the UV-Mapper workaround.Harald

I've been messing around a little, and I think the problem is with the texture itself. It doesn't seem to convert to .RAW/.ACT properly. I have no problems with your hangar texture.My texture can be found at:http://home.no.net/harpoon/terminal.bmpThanks.John IvanENHD

Hi JohnI got your texture. I will try to export/import it tomorrow.But i found out, with zmodeler 1.06f you do not need to export/import an object to see the texture in the UV-Mapper. (all my projects have been made with 1.05) Just skip the export/import and everything should work fine.If you want to import an generic Fly2 .smf-file:1) reconvert the .RAW an .ACT to .BMP with flyrawgui2) import the .smf and click OK in the error message3.) open the material editor. There you will find an material for each missing texture like ../ART/hangar.Raw. Select in this material the "primary texture" checkbox and add your reconverted BMP. This should do the trick.HaraldNB: I uploaded V1.1 of my tutorial