Sign in to follow this  

Barbers Point Naval Air Station - Where is it?

Hi,Below is an aerial view of Barbers Point Naval Air Station on the island of Oahu. This and several other airports have runways that don't match up with the scenery I'd like to release. I'm still learning how best do that but with this airport in particular I've got a problem--mainly it doesn't seem to exist in the Fly! database even though its got runways. I think the airport may have been closed by the military a few years ago (1999) but the runways are still there in Fly! 2 and in the aerial photo I'm using -- so how do I tell Fly! to relocate the runways if it doesn't know the airports name? Or am I missing something? Thanks for any help.Don

Testing...1...2...3Just checking, the hit count hasn't changed on any of these messages since late last night. Does it only get updated when someone responds to a message?Don

Yep, that's what it does. Observations just jumped from 2 to 16.

You may have tried this already, but I've successfully added an airport by using VolEdit and DexImport to create the runways and airport entry. You said that the runways exist in the Fly!II database. I assume you're using Voledit to look at the runways database. You should also look at the airport database to ensure there is a matching entry. The runway and airport entries are linked by a unique key in the airport entry. Let me know if you've tried this or if you have any questions about the process.

Thanks for your reply! I tried pulling up Barbers Point (PHNA) in VolEdit for both the airport and runway pods with no luck. Then using AeroPlanner.com I discovered that the airport I was looking for is now known as Kalaeloa Airport (JRF or PHJR) and under this name does appear in the Fly! database. I also found the following from the State of Hawaii's Dept. of Transportation:"Kalaeloa Airport, formerly Naval Air Station, Barbers Point, is a general aviation facility that uses 750 acres of the former Naval facility. The State operates the three runways at the airport, the control tower and support facilities. General aviation facilities on the South Ramp of Honolulu International Airport (HNL) will be relocated to this facility. In addition, space will be made available to fixed base operators at Kalaeloa Airport."I'll get back with questions if I have trouble using VolEdit and DexImport to move the runways. Thanks.Don

Great...sounds like you're on your way. Please ask if you have problems with the Fly!II databases. I have been able to add airports without too much difficulty...as long as the ground is level! I've had a lot of trouble with runways on a slope. Otherwise, you should be in good shape. Come back with questions and good luck!