Sign in to follow this  
Guest Richard Hill

TerraScene adding Shape files

Guest Richard Hill

I have downloaded my entire state of shape files.*lka roads*lkb rails*lkc misc transport*lkd land marks*lkh hydrographylpy landmark polygons*wat water polygones1. Do I need more/or less files?2. Are the *SHP file all I need to keep?2. Once in digital maps and I select a county, how do I define shape file attributes foe each?3. Do I have to do this for each county?I would be greatful if someone would E-mail me a sample and or suggestions or tips. As DLG files are no longer updated they are of little use. A lake built and opened in 1988 is not in the 1994 DlG data files.richardlhll@wmconnect.comrichard L Hill;

>or suggestions or tips. As DLG files are no longer updated >they are of little use. A lake built and opened in 1988 is >not in the 1994 DlG data files. You can augment the USGS DLG data with the very detailed and very recent Tiger Census 2000 Shapefile data (which includes water polygons). You can get this data here:http://www.esri.com/data/download/census20...line/index.htmlJust download the layers you want (roads, water bodies, rail, etc.). It would probably be easiest to download each layer into a separate shapefile for purposes of importing into TS2. Using this method, create your TS2 project as usual (using USGS data) and add in ONLY the shapefiles you need. For example, if you just want to have that lake, only add the shapefile for water polys. TS2 will blend the USGS DLG data and the shapefile data together. You can also use this method to add roads that have been added since the DLG data was created.Todd

Here's an example. Note that a few new railroads were added (upper left) and a new lake appeared (center right) in the downtown San Jose area.