Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hagar

Elevation data in FlyII

Guest Hagar

Hi guys,In my Kristiansand (Encn) scenery, I imported elevation data for the first, and last time. Because of a resolution bug, I get white, jagged edges where the Terrascenery meets the default scenery.A way to avoid this is to update the elevations for half my country in one operation, and pack those data as a pod file. Then I would only see the jagged edges when crossing to another country. And if this file weren`t too big, I could share it with you...Is it possible to update lots of tiles like in Fly!, and can those data be podded without needing to make the scenery?Shouldn`t have asked this...if its possible I will have to re-draw a lot of scenery...arrghh! Need a secretary >:-)

Hi HagarSorry I can not help you with your request, but just one question are you able to update the elevation data in your country? , if is so , what program did you use to perform such task, I tried several time with flattenator but no way, just for example in my hometown I need to change the elevation of the city ard 500ft lower in the west side which is not accurate but unfortunately I miising something, that I cannot do it.By the way your site is very good.rgdsCesar/venezuela

Guest Colins2

Hi Andrew,The short answer is yes :DYou can update the elevations for whatever area you want, you are not tied to globe tiles.The DEM file probably wouldn't be too big anyway.I did the whole of the UK when I was testing Dted2Fly.Colin

Guest Hagar

You`ll need DTED or GTOPO30 data, a converter (like DTED2toFly), and then you import the data with the Fly editor. I haven`t a clue about Flattenator...Thx for the nice words about the site, it`s improving sloooow :)

Guest Hagar

Hi Colin,The whole UK? Can you remember the size of the data, and did you pod it? I also want to test Dted2Fly to check if the higher resolution is worth it...

Guest Colins2

Hi Andrew,From memory, the gzipped, tar'd file was around 57mb (unzipped).I got the data from Nima, dted0.I never did pod the data, because it didn't make much difference in the UK and I was experimenting a lot at the time.Obviously, for a mountainous country like Norway, the elevation data is a lot more important.Colin

Guest Hagar

Hi Colin,Aha, good old Nima. I tried their data with Fly!, and got a nice result. I`ll give it a try again, if it works fine with one tile, I am going to update southern Norway in one chunk, and hope I won`t have to re-draw too many fjords :-zhelp