Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chris Wallace

Programmable Failures Demo DLL - this weekend

Guest Chris Wallace

As some of you may know, there has always been some ability to simulate system failures in Fly! 2 (to a lesser extent in Fly! as well). There are some limitations and I think a few bugs overall, but what has really been missing is a convenient UI for setting up the failures. I've had a failures DLL project on the back burner for a long time now, and just dusted it off last night to see where it was at. I'll upload a demo DLL this weekend with source code for those who are interested, both here at AVSIM and on FlyDevelopers.com. Note that this isn't a "demo" in the sense of a trial version of a more complete project; it's basically just a dump of what I have so far, that demonstrates some of the programmable failure capabilities.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest dajackman

Cool! Look forward to giving it a try... Thanks again Chris!

Hi ChrisPls let us know if you finally release the DLL, I could not find nothing in the Avsim.Best RegardsCesar/Venezuela

Hi, Chris.Looking forward to it. Have you decided anything on the Flytrack yet??Thank you, for your contribution. TV

Guest Chris Wallace

Well, AVSIM Law #23 states that immediately after making a "coming soon" announcement, some roadblock arises to make it difficult/impossible to meet the deadline! I decided against uploading a "half-baked" demonstration DLL at the time since it didn't really provide much user value unless somebody was willing to continue developing the concept and work through the hard parts of figuring out the proper aircraft subsystem connections to simulate realistic failures. Then I was getting constant crashes in Fly! and then generally in Windows. It turned out to be a bad memory DIMM, but by the time I found it my system files were pretty much trashed...I didn't really lose anything important but I'm only now getting all my apps reinstalled.So, I may or may not get back to working on this when I have free time over the holidays...if anybody wants the source code and some help to continue the development I'd be happy to share what I have so far. It's just not ready for prime time uploading to the general public via the library.Oh, and re: FlyTrak, this is in the same boat. It may be a possibility for release when/if another Fly! II patch is released, since it uses new SDK features that are not available in patch 230. The only way I was able to get an acceptable UI developed for it was to use a new UI widget that Rich added during the beta process. Anyway stay tuned when/if another patch is released, and again if anybody is interested in taking over further development then get in touch.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Well noted.I have not knowledge of programming but I was playing with the smoke system posted on Fly developers and came to my mind to combine your failure Dll with a smoke?, that is why I asked abt the program, anyway tks for your contribution to Fly.Best rgds and merry xmas.Cesar/Venezuela

Hi, Chris. I would like to pursue the FlyTrack, but my programming skills at this time are very limited. I could relearn again, but it is my hope that we can form a team and bring this to fruition. If you can spend some time coding, I will do all the testing and give you feedback. The Fly1 version was very close to release stage as I recall. If you do not have the time, and want to send me the source, flytv1@yahho.com, I will try to bring it to completion, but without seeing what I am getting into I cannot categorically promise that. Have a Happy Holidays, everyone. TV