Sign in to follow this  
dkohl

Please recommend a Good Photo / TGA Editing Package

I've been considering Paint Shop Pro or PhotoShop Elements - I have a Dell PC with WinXP. I'm not a serious scenery designer or anything, but would like something I can use to edit TGA files produced by TerraScene where TerraScene places a large square land-mass off coastlines due to lack of data. I may also attempt - although not sure if I have the time or skills - to do some sat-photo importing and alignment for the New York area. Of course, I'd also use it for some digital photo editing, but I have a pretty basic program - Image Expert Pro - that seems to do just fine for the level I use it.Any recommendations that balance price with features?-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v40.72, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

I'm partial to Photoshop Elements because I have experience w/ Photoshop. Its a pretty powerful program, but may be more geared toward Photo-Editing, but I think will still work for you. Incidentally, you may want to try a freeware editing program called The Gimp. Its not quite as user-friendly, but all of the features are there and its on par w/ Photoshop. I don't have much experience w/ Paint Shop Pro, so I can't help you there. I can say that there are a lot of tutorials/resources available for Photoshop on the net and they would probably apply to Elements as well. Once I made the switch to Photoshop, I never looked back!

G'day David,I use photoshop and find it does all I require of it BUT !!!!!Evidently there is a problem with large files such as you might want to load for scenery.See Rich's explaination about limitations of Photoshop in Jans post titled "photoshop question". Some of the other graphics program may not have this limitation.It might be worth checking out.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

I'm again on the cusp of buying a Photo Editing tool. I re-read this post.... See Rich's explaination about limitations of Photoshop in Jans post titled "photoshop question". Some of the other graphics program may not have this limitation..... and wanted to verify if anyone knows if PaintShop Pro can load very large (eg; 850MB) TGA images that sometimes get created from TerraScene.Thanks.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Dave, I've not been able to do that, just segments, but then I only have 256 Meg.

Do you think the reason is b/c of your RAM or b/c of a built-in limit in PaintShop Pro. I saw a post in the thread I referened above that seemed to indicate PSP can load these very large images. Realize - I have 1GB of physical RAM + am using some HD for additional virtual RAM. Bottom line - PaintShop Pro can be had for about $45 bucks after JASC and Amazon.com rebates. Photoshop Elements can be had for about $75. So why spend more if from a functionality perspective, they are similar.For me, the reason for the purchase is three-fold:1 - I want to edit the very large TGA files created by TerraScene so that the blocks of land that appear off the coasts of our country can be removed, and likewise, land masses in borders with Canada and Mexican can be edited out.2 - I can experiment with sattelite imagery, overlaying this with TerraScenery.3 - I can edit, crop, print photos from my digital camera with ease.Feedback on features, capabilities, and of course the bottom line question of file size limitations is appreciated.-DK--David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

David, I always thought the problem was my limited RAM. But, I don't know if an upgrade would definitely solve my problem. I do remember last December 12 on the General Forum someone stated that with 768 Meg Photoshop Elements would load a full TS tga.

David, regarding my post above, I checked the old thread. It was Nov 24, 2002 under subject "Need help with Terrascene". Not Dec 12. I'd post a link, but I don't know how.

Hi. I just spent 15 minutes searching the forum and couldn't find the thread you refer to above. If you find it, please copy the URL (from the address line in your browser). Then, create a new post to this thread and in it, just paste the URL. When you post the topic, the link will be embedded in the topic post. Easy.Thanks.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

David, your directions on posting links are simple enough, but whenever I open a post, no link appears on the address bar of my browser (IE 5.5) using Win 98 SE. Maybe there is some browser option I need to specify, but I don't know what it is. So, here is what I did to search:keywords: paint shop (use AND logic)search all for the last year and include archived threads. FrankN was the original author, posted Nov 22 "Need help with Terrascene" DonB (last post) responded on Photoshop Elements.Using same keywords, but for the Developers Forum, I found some additional, but conflicting info, on Paint Shop Pro (version unspecified):David Taylor posted Oct 24 under Photoshop 'scratch disks question' a comment that Paintshop Pro opened an 815 Mb tga, but slowly.twva172 originally posted Jul 19 02 on Adding a texture, and in the thread was a comment by someone that with a TS tga around 800 Mb Paint Shop Pro just freezes.