Sign in to follow this  
dkohl

Challenge to Dev Team: Weather Radar / Icing

Fly!2 is in awesome simulator. I think we'll all agree. But two features of the earlier revisions (Fly! and Fly!2k) were functioning weather radar and icing. I have no appreciation for what it would take to implement icing, but my very (and I mean really very) limited programming skills would lead me to believe the weather radar shouldn't be that difficult at all. We already have the capabilities to "know" what the cloud density and height are, and even if one cannot make a fully accurate weather radar system, one should be able to at least simulate radar by writing some algorithms to recognize cloud type and height in order to draw green, yellow and red dots on the installed weather radar receivers.So..... anyone a taker on implementing weather radar? Or how about icing?We'd all appreciate it.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest dajackman

I would like to see some icing!!And don't forget about us piston folks. Carb ice would rock also!!

Guest DSandberg

Actually I think you've got it backwards. I suspect icing would be a lot easier to implement than a weather radar that actually works with changing weather areas (i.e., not just a global weather setting with pseudo-realistic returns, but one that actually shows rain where rain is falling). For proof, consider that Fly 1.0 did a decent job with icing (in my opinion) but didn't even attempt to integrate the weather radar with METAR weather areas.But I do think that both should be possible, if someone was to really make a concerted effort. And both would be great things to see happen![br][br]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif