Sign in to follow this  
Avcomware

My Deb idles at redline...

Hi guys,One more question (I hope :-)). For some reason, on my system, the prop rpm averages around 2600 rpm with the throttle at idle. As I increase throttle, the rpm slowly drops back into the normal range and then increases with power as I would expect it to do. It's not a big deal - the aircraft "acts" like it's idling and the Manifold Pressure is down where it should be - I'm just curious if anyone else is experiencing the fast prop. This may be due to my setup (I dimly recall changing my throttle sensitivities back when FS2002 first arrived to "fix" some of the idling characteristics of the default aircraft), maybe my throttle tweaks confused the Deb's prop control.Thanks again,Marc

Hi James,I've used it from several different airports - off the top of my head, I know I've flown it out of LOWI (Innsbruck) and LIPZ (Venice) with the same result- so I don't think density altitude is the cause. Thanks for the excellent support!Marc

Well, I haven't actually noticed it before (Busy with the VC at the moment ;-)), but it does happen on my one!! I think this might be one of the things getting tweaked in the new and improved air file, or it might be normal operation. Maybe Geof can answer this better than I can :-)http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/edenw/fs_banner_je1.jpg Think highly of yourself, for the world takes you at your estimate -Anon

Hi Geof,Thanks again for a fantastic aircraft (I never thought I'd see a decent nose cowling view in FS - thanks for proving me wrong)!Hmmm, I know you're probably way to busy to deal with such a small problem right now; but I'm pretty sure my joystick settings are correct. (1) They haven't been a problem with any other aircraft; and (2) I don't use the joystick to control mixture or prop (I use the mouse). However, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and make sure all my settings are correct - I'll let you know tonight. I don't want to "point fingers"; but since you experienced the throttle/mixture swap on your system - is it possible that it also had an effect on the gauge programming? Once again, I don't think this is a major issue - I'm just a little too much of a perfectionist and want to find out why it's happening.Thanks for the AWESOME support,Marc

I actually experienced this not with my plane-but when fs2002 first came out.I don't really know what would cause this-I don't seem to have it so again it makes it difficult to figure out. Perhaps someone else knows.I did just try going to a higher altitude airport-aspen,co. and it did idle higher-at 1800 or so. Perhaps this is density altitude related-try a seal level field and see if you see the same.It probably will be fixed if it is there in the next fm.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

Guest Pieter

>...but I'm pretty sure my joystick settings are correct. Don't worry, your j/s is OK. Mine does the same. I went one step further and replaced the RPM gauge (via editing the panel.cfg file)with the Extra's and also tried the Cessna default. It still does the same no matter what gauge used and thus idles at (or creeps up towards) the red line, with any of them. The RPM is linked to the air file so it must be something between the air file data and any RPM gauge available to FS! I will check out the elevation though, I was sitting at 5000ft MSL...Pieter

Guest RiddlePilot

Did you guys calibrate the throttle axis within fsuipc? I did, and thats what was causing it. Just go to the joystick axis and click the reset button in the throttle section so that it says "Axis not processed"

Guest artl

Can it really be the joystick?If it was, you would think that ALL of the throttle-related symptoms woulddevelop (RPM increase,manifold pressure increase, sound change, etc...)Only the RPM guage is affected.... It starts out normal, butas you sit idling on the tarmac, the gauge creeps up slowly to 2600 rpm. I have to believe itis a model problem with the way the constant-speed prop relatesto power input. This problem seems to be general (a lot of threads about it), where other a/c have no problem, so I doubtvery much that it has anything to do with j/s.Art.

Guest Scott Campbell

Geof,I don't have your fine aircraft (although I will get it soon), but with all the questions regarding this issue, can I ask one question (okay, one after this one)? Do you use auto-throttle at all? Does it require arming first if you do?Although the problem may be related to constant speed, this may also ba an issue. I'm just guessing of course.

Guest Scott Campbell

James,I wouldn't think so. ;-) But there could be a hidden AT in the air file (or maybe the config).