Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Terrascene question.

G'day all,After 2 years searching I have finally found an acceptable satellite image of Sydney.I have tried to get to the "enhanced terrascene tutorial" but keep getting the "this page cannot be displayed" error message. I've installled terrascene and taken a brief walk through the program but the satellite image is a 9.5 MB compressed JPG file and not any of the formats listed.(ie dem,usgs,dgl etc). At least they don't say it is. It's a NASA image, the scale is not stated. The only reference point mentioned is that the centre of the image is 34.0S/151.0E. and that it is 5000 x 5000 pixels. My question is "can this image be used with terrascene to create scenery for Fly! II and if so how?", "if not can it be used in any way to create scenery?". I apologise for my total lack of knowledge re scenery files but any help would be really appreciated as this is one scenery that I would dearly like to have. Thanks for your assistance.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest Ken_Salter

Pascal's TerraScene Enhancement document: http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/pascal/index.htmlMy TerraScene Tutorial:http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/complete_guide_scenery.htmYes this image can be used. What you can do is go ahead and terrascene the area but do not pod. TerraScene will create tga files of the area, which you can edit in a graphic editor. Then you can take your NASA file and overlay it in the tga file and line it up. Then use TerraScene to slice the the files and make your POD.[h3]Ken Salter (aka SaltyDog)[/h3]Fly! Forum Moderator[link:members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=5E79C613-0A60-4A3B-BDC1-F9EE49F2D4FE]Join the AVSIM Online Cancer Fight!!

G'day Ken,Thanks for the links and confirmation. I'm determined not to let my lack of understanding of the scenery process from shying me away from having a go at getting Sydney terrascened.Thanks againCheers,Roger @YSSY(which IS going to get terrascened-gotta stay positive:-))

Roger,Terrascene doesn't originally use aerial or satellite pictures for it's rendering. USGS files are some vectorial maps which are converted into a raster image by TS. (It's why you have to use some textures set to recreate this image).For your case, the problem is that you don't know the picture's scale. Ken's idea is to use the synthetised TS image to adjust and overlay the satellite one. It works great in the USA because there are USGS datas. For other countries, we have to find other vectorial maps, and TS does not download them automatically. This may be a problem, and I can't help you since I use to work with US files.Bob J who writes at Simvol, and sometimes here, knows a lot about non-US data files. Try to ask him.I doubt my tutorial will help you for this case. BTW, my technique seems quite complicated since not so many tried it and I haven't heard much from those who started something. :-)Cheers!Pascal__________________________________________________FLY! II tips Anti-aliasing: On some machines, you must set FSAA to 4x (GeForce2) to make it work. No need to disactivate AGP.Don't like the blurried textures? Try with FSAA on, and these values in the Render.ini :mipLevelCount=4 (if it causes problems rather set 5)mipMapFlag=128

Hi Ken!The anchored thread about my tutorial in general forum is not very useful anymore (apart from the fact that the link doesn't work), and many people think it's a tutorial on how to use Terrascene. :-)I think that the other threads there are a thousand time more important than mine! May I then ask you to let it sink one of these days?If you don't want to remove the one at developper's forum (this forum), I will add the right link, since it's not locked. But feel free to un-anchor it as well, for me it's not a problem since you have added the link at your site's front page. :-)In fact, I have totally revised my method, for still better results I believe (my new rocks rock! ;) :-lol ). I'm still working quite hard on it (whenever life permits)!Cheers!Pascal__________________________________________________FLY! II tips Anti-aliasing: On some machines, you must set FSAA to 4x (GeForce2) to make it work. No need to disactivate AGP.Don't like the blurried textures? Try with FSAA on, and these values in the Render.ini :mipLevelCount=4 (if it causes problems rather set 5)mipMapFlag=128

G'day Pascal, Thanks for taking the time to help a complete and utter newbie to scenery making. In the last 24 hrs I have learnt a little bit about how to generate terrascenery using shapefiles downloaded from DCW using arcexplorer. There is a tutorial included with the terrascene download that I have found invalueable.I now know that I can't use satellite images to terrascene Sydney.Just 1 hour ago I created my first ever petite bit of scenery. It's not much (15 mile radius) but geez am I happy at the moment. :-jumpy Now I want to find out how to manually paint beaches on the coast??Can I use terrascene to creat TGA files, import them into photoshop, paint the beaches, reslice the TGA again using terrascene??Thanks for your help.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Hi Roger!You just made the step I couldn't explain to you.I didn't say you can't use satellite imagery, I just meant it's not the base material TS uses. In fact, what you have done will help to integrate you image, since you can use it as a template:Open the TGA with PhotoshopCopy-paste your satellite image, it's now in a new layer. Set layer transparency to 50%.Adjust the scale and move the upper layer until the two images align at best. The coastlines will be of great help.Transparency to 100% and flatten image.Save as TGA. (make a copy of the original TGA before)Back to TerraScene, open the project. In the render box, for day scenery, select "use existing" (not "use existing segments" from the checkboxes). Slice again.One more advice: before any slicing, rename your Fly!IIData folder to something else, and create a new folder named Data. After the rendering, delete all what's inside this folder. If you didn't do it for your first scenery, look inside your Data folder, you will find one or more recent folders with the reference to the globe tile. Delete them. If you don't do this, FlyII will be very slow!Tell me if anything is not clear.Pascal__________________________________________________FLY! II tips Anti-aliasing: On some machines, you must set FSAA to 4x (GeForce2) to make it work. No need to disactivate AGP.Don't like the blurried textures? Try with FSAA on, and these values in the Render.ini :mipLevelCount=4 (if it causes problems rather set 5)mipMapFlag=128

Thanks Ken! :-)__________________________________________________FLY! II tips Anti-aliasing: On some machines, you must set FSAA to 4x (GeForce2) to make it work. No need to disactivate AGP.Don't like the blurried textures? Try with FSAA on, and these values in the Render.ini :mipLevelCount=4 (if it causes problems rather set 5)mipMapFlag=128

Hi Roger,Good luck with your Sydney project. Where did you get the satellite image? I have searched for useful data for Australia with limited success (unless of course I want to shell out cash). Is it available for free or did you pay for it?Ken Brand.Perth, Western AustraliaFlying out of YPJT.

G'day Ken,Mate my wife and I were on holidays in the outback at White Cliffs, NSW and I was on the bed watching a report on the bushfires and they mentioned a site that is displaying satellite images of the fires that the Firefighters are using to coordinate their resources.free sitehttp://www.sentinel.csiro.com.auMost of the pics have fires and smoke but if you care to look you can find clear pics.In the end I haven't yet used the image but as soon as I get organisedwith terrashape I may give it a go.Cheers,Roger @YSSY