Sign in to follow this  

Are there different types of water?

I have generated a photo-realistic Hamburg scenery (not Terrascene) which includes a lot of water surfaces. My water mask is all black-all white, and the slicer generates sufaces which look like water - reflection, colours and small moving waves, you name it. However, it is not possible to start the Stearman waterplane from these water surfaces (if you land there you get a lot of brown smoke!), and the helis don't show the characteristic ripples from the rotors air wash-down. The generic water surfaceshave all these properties you expect from water to the very edge of my scenery. Then there seems to be a narrow lane with no properties at all before my scenery starts. In addition, "true" water has the texture 669EC18301 whereas "false" water is textured C1839D9D31, and elevation of false water is 0.0 whereas true is something different from zero (in fact, there are water "slopes" in the generic scenery). I have sliced the scenery with the Reduce water tiles option turned to OFF. I'ld be thankful for any suggestions how to solve this problem - I'ld like to start the Stearman from the Alster lake!HobePS I have read Richard Harveys good-bye letter, and I am very touched though I am only loosely connected with the Fly-community. Judging from the many references Fly developers have made to Richard over the years, he must be an exceptional person.

Hobe,Though you have effectively rendered your scenery (and the water), that just changes the appearance - the underlying ground type is still land as far as Fly!II is concerned.I would recommend downloading this great utility: Ground Type Transform v1.1 by Elrond Elvish and Jim Kanold. This will allow you to change the underlying ground tiles to "water", so you can use the Stearman with floats. Here is the download link: http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DLID=10790Many persons use this utility to do the opposite, change improper water areas to land (so they don't sink when they taxi), but it can certainly be used to do the opposite.

Randall Rocke

Guest Colins2

Randall / Hobe,Yes, you can use the excellent GTT to do this but there is an important point to remember.A ground tile is the smallest area that Fly! works in. It has to be either land OR water. It cannot be both. If you have a tile with some coastline, river bank etc. then it must be land or else the default coastlines will not be drawn.You can TS the area and that should draw the land over the water tile, giving the illusion that the tile is land. However, you will 'sink' through this false land. This would be a problem if you had a 'real' airport near the river. You could land on the runways, but you would sink on the taxiways/apron.Colin

Guest ben_

ColinI'm not even sure if I have the concept of TerraShape correct - ( I've used TS once about 9 months ago :-) , I even downloaded TerraShape at the time ) - it seems its necessary to learn TS, TerraShape and then a CAD program.If I have the concept correct, would it be possible to have a rectangle that could be Zoomed and Rotated or otherwise a basic set of shape templates, to cover the generally rectangular runways and taxiways of interest, within your program. so that it's not necessary to have to learn the CAD program?Not sure if I'm talking nonsense here; but, the above thoughts occured to me and I thought I'd pose the question.ThanksBen

Guest Colins2

BenYou probably have an old version of TerraShape now.A new version is on my site along with more documentation.I don't really understand your question??TerraShape converts shapefiles to dxf format to allow editing.Then it will re-translate the edited dxf files back into shapefiles for processing with TerraScene.Every shapefile is different and all are geo-referenced. There is nothing generic about any of this data.TerraShape was designed as a sort of pre-processor for TerraScene.It works on the same Globe-Tile boundaries as Fly! itself.It will import and display (in a dxf file) runways and taxiways from the Fly! databases. This is to assist in drawing polylines / polygons.Can you re-phrase your question if the documentation doesn't answer it?Colin

Randall, thank you for the hint. I'll try it and see whether it works.Best wishesHobe

Colin, thank you for supplementing Randall's idea. There is indeed an airport very close to the river (EDWI) but perhaps I leave the ground type on these tiles as they are. There still is enough water in the Hamburg harbour area to start a Stearman! By the way: would you be interested to beta-test my Hamburg scenery? It is a 97 MByte POD-file (unzipped, will probably be reduzed quite a bit when zipped) which works nicely on my system. It is water and night. Because of the size, I hesitate somewhat to make the scenery public before I know it'll work on other systems also. Please let me know.Best wishesHobe

Guest ben_

ColinI knew I shouldn't have asked :-)My double HD crashes of 2002 left me without many dowloads including Terrascene, Terrashape, +++++++I have not even brought myself back files wise with developed files let alone developing files, so I think I will just thanks for your efforts and although I hope at some stage to have time to correct splashy airports it's probably many months in the future :-)ThanksBen

Hi to Randall and Colin,changing the tile property to water/ ocean did the trick immediately.Many thanks!!!!!!!!!:-) Hobe