Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hagar

How do I solve this??

Guest Hagar

I`m making one quarter tile, 3-181NW. When I import GTOPO30 elevation data, I get these jagged lines on the border. I am using a tile density of 4x4, and Subdivide Tolerance=200. No matter what different values I try, I can`t get rid of those jaggies. Has it something to do with overlapping the tga and/or elevation data?Hope there is a solution to this...if not, I have to give up on the elevation data x(

Andrew,Did you try leaving the Subdivide Tolerance at the Fly! default setting of 500? When I've had those kind of tears in the scenery, especially along borders, that gets rid of them -- or you could try importing elevation data only at the same subdivide tolerance as used in your scenery for the adjacent tiles. When I was working on Maui a globe tile border went through one end of the island and I had horrible tears but once I matched up the tile densities and subdivide tolerances those rips in the scenery pretty much disappeared. Generally though, even within a tile, the more detailed the settings the more likely I've been to experience those blue triangles.Don

Guest Hagar

Don,I just resliced at the default values (Subdivide Tolerance =500 and 4x4 Tile Density), but the problem remains. It got better, but the tears are still there. The default Subdivide Tolerance also causes terrain to raise in some fjords, where it should not be, thats why I hope I can use lower values in order to increase the resolution.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Andrew:You could edit the individual elevations using Flattenator...Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest Hagar

Alejandro,Can I use Flattenator on the tile I have made only? If it does something to the default scenery, I would end up with scenery I can`t upload...

Guest Fly II Pilot

Andrew:Regardless of whether or not you modify the elevations, you can upload the scenery.All you'd have to do is 1) include the data*.trn files that you've modified in your pod and 2) use Pod 3 and mount it with a priority higher than 1000. Or, you could just import the data of the 2x2 grip to see what is the elevation of the different points, use this data to modify your 4x4 or 8x8 grid and then delete the default scenery's .trn file that you imported.The Flattenator documents tell you how to do this. But basically, you "capture" or import the elevation data using the built-in Fly-editor. This creates a bunch of data folders for the tiles you're working on that contain several .trn files (depending on the size of the area you're working on).Flattenator Deluxe handles up to a 4x4 resolution. For 8x8 you must do it manually and, while it can be done, you need to understand very well the structure of the .trn files.I think the problem you're having is that you're using a 4x4 or an 8x8 grid while the default scenery only has a 2x2 or 4x4 grid, respectively.So, for example, suppose that on the 2x2 side you have 1 elevation point at 100 ft and the next one at 0 ft and a distance between them of 1 mile.On the 4x4 side you have 1 elevation point at 100 ft that matches the first 2x2 side, then another elevation point at 75ft at 1/2 a mile distance (where you see the tearing), and finally an elevation point at 0 ft, at 1/2 a mile distance from this last point which matches the 2x2 side. As you can see, the reason why you have the tearing is that the elevation of the imaginary mid point of the 2x2 side is only at 50 ft while on the 4x4 side it is at 75 ft. The solution is to change the elevation of that mid-point on the 4x4 grid to match the 2x2 side. The forumula is ([lowest_elevation of 2x2 side] + 1/2 * [difference between the elevations of the two 2x2 side elevation points]). In this case ([0 ft]) + 1/2 x [100 - 0]) = 50.In the above mentioned case the elevations of the two sides' common points were the same, but this is not always the case. If this happens, first make these points match and then take care of the mid point (or points if using 8x8 grid).Hope it's not too confusing.Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest Hagar

Alejandro,No matter what values I use for Subdivide Tolerance and Tile Density, I still have the tears. I checked the Scenery.pdf, which states the default values is 500 and 4x4, but from what I see on the sliced scenery, this can`t be true. My scenery still misses one point in between. I also had a couple of short trials with Flattenator Deluxe, but this tool is obviously only for airports? The airports are not the problem, where my Quarter Tile (3-181NW) meets the rest of the scenery is. Can Flattenator fix this? And btw, where do I find the Flattenator document? It was not in the zip...

Gents-your problem is not exactly that.Your problem is that the neighboring tile has differing elevations from the ones in your terrascened tile. This is a shortcoming of the entire 3d scenery engine, where there's no interpolation done between tiles, to match elevations properly.The solution is twofold: Either terrascene the neighboring tile as well, (in which case, the problem is moved to the neighbor's neighbor, and so on), or adjust the terrascened tile's elevations at the border to match the elevations found in the non-terrascened neighbor (which is what I've done in the Greek Scenery).Hope this helps... (sucks, tho, doesn't it?)

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest Fly II Pilot

Gents:I obviously was not clear, but that's what I meant with the whole explanation. Using Flattenator, you'd edit the elevations of the terrascened area and make it match the adjacent, not-terrascened area. However, to do this, you first need to know what ARE the elevations of the adjacent non-terrascened area, and that is done by importing the elevation with Fly!'s built-in editor.Andrew, let's do this. Why don't you send me just the .TRN files for the tile or tiles you're working on (found in the corresponding data?????? folder) and then tell me what is the non-terrascened adjacent tile number. I'll try to fix it for you and show you how I did it.Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest Hagar

Lol, yes it sucks when I see this is the only way, to edit the .trn files. Thanks for the info so far. And I just figured out I had to find the adjacent tiles elevation before I check out my own tiles.I feel this would be like editing vertices in Max without seeing them... So I guess it`s roughly like this: Import the adjacent tile and check it out in Flattenator. Then the new scenery tile. I found the documentation on Flattenator, and understand that I can just skip the airports and just import the specific tiles. But to find that exact point (vertex) is not easy. With the Flattenator document I also got an Excel sheet. Does this make the task easier?Alejandro, I`ll give Flattenator a shot or two before I send any files. Will first try to get this into my flattened head :-badteeth

Guest Hagar

Alejandro,Flattenator only crashes for me...So I`m sending you the .trn files on mail and hope you can help me with this.Also, I have uploaded the complete (renewed) ENBR beta scenery here:http://home.online.no/~an-thoms/artimages/files/betaIt`s a "Do it yoursef" TS/TSH Terrascene pack for 3-181NE with GTPOPO30 raster file and solid instructions & 3D Models, and a new TMNBR.pod with refined models. Hope you`ll like it :)(BTW: The beta files are for all daring people that want to give this scenery a shot)...

Guest Fly II Pilot

Andrew:Are you using Flattenator or Flattenator Deluxe?Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest Hagar

Flattenator Deluxe. It`s mentioned in the document I found...