Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hagar

Important Tips on Podding 3D Models !

Guest Hagar

Hi all. Here is some recent experience, and a good tip on Fences:Recently I have found two important issues regarding Terramodels, the Editor and podding.First, I feel I can`t fully trust Terramodels. I always have to move the TM2.mlf file away from Fly2Data, if not, I get crashes in TM. Also when I choose to make a "Pod and Scf File Only", sometimes I get a incomplete or empty pod. My "safe method" is this: First make the response file, leave Terramodels and edit the response file manually, then choose "Package Scenery for Upload". This always works just fine. (Allen, hope you have some comments here, correct me if I`m wrong)When I want to package the scenery, I have to make a response file first. I just discovered that this file also put in ART and MODELS entries for the models in Biberall, and you end up with a too big podfile, which also contains the models from Biberall. I think TM puts in all the Bibermodels IF they reside in the Fly2ART and MODELS folders, but I can`t say this for shure.The intention with Biberall.pod in Fly2Shared was to avoid big podfiles. Your models pod should ONLY contain the Terramodels made buildings and, eventually Custom models. The rest of the modelslisted in the Scenery.Sxx files are loaded directly from Cities.pod, Biberall.pod and TM21_256.pod in the Fly2Shared folder.So my rule is:-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Always edit the TM-made response file in Notepad before podding. Take away all entries for Biberall (Not in the Scenery.Sxx files, but all the Biberall TIF`s and SMF`s)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My second issue is good news: Lets talk about those ankward Fences!--------Tip one:--------Fences in Terramodels can be troublesome too. It is easy to click wrong when you place them, and sometimes you get a model you don`t see but it is there. And if the fence is OK, it can still be a nuisance to get back to it in Terramodels. Leave TM and go to Fly2DataD00xxxx. Open the TM_Sxx_I.S11 file. This file has all the fences. Now you can delete them, and make a note of the models you want to remove from your FlyModels folder. (Good housekeeping is always important). Or just delete the whole file and start a new.---------------------------------------------Tip two, how to get perfectly aligned fences:---------------------------------------------You all know that using TM for placing models is a flash. But not all of them are perfectly aligned. Then you fire up the Fly2 Editor and use it for fine-adjustment. The problem is combining TM and theEditor is nothing but a nightmare! Sometimes all the models start to blink, models are offset, you can loose the whole thing. You can destroy the scenery.Sxx files. And if you not loose it, fences you adjusted in the Editor are offset when you pod it all with TM. Or other models are offset :~PMy conclusion is: Don`t give the Fly (Sly) Editor a chance to touch your other scenery files! IF you must use the Fly Editor, bring in ONLY the models to be adjusted.My new method is this:1: In TM, draw in all your fences.2: Save the project and leave TM. Go to Fly2DataD00xxxx.3: Move all the scenery files EXCEPT from the TM_XXX_I.S11 to a temporary directory.4: Start Fly2. Fire up the Sly Editor with CTRL-E.5: Go to your airport. Now you`ll see ONLY the fences. Use the Editor to fine-adjust them.6: Press "Save changes" and leave the Editor and Fly2.7: Get back into TM and check your fences. Leave TM again, don`t save.8: Bring the files in your temporary directory back to Fly2DataD00xxxx.9: Fire up TM, do a new check on the complete scenery, save, make a response file and pod it!Hope this works for you, feedback is mucho appreciated >:-)

Guest Jan

Thanks Andrew.Should save a few precious FPS.Jan

When I want to package the scenery, I have to make a response file firstYep, this is a bug that has been reported several times. The more people that know about it the better.Also, I seem to remember that some people had TM2.mlf entries that were too long for TM22. And, this was causing the crashes. I can't remember for sure, it has been a LONG time since I have been in the Terramodels code.You bring up some important points that any new scenery designer should take note of.Cheers,Allen

Guest Hagar

Thanks for the comments, Allen!Regarding the TM2.mlf file, I solve it by moving this file to a temporary directory each time I`m using the Fly Editor. No crashes.And if I choose the models the right way (like always using Biberall.mlf for his models), those models are not packed in the pod.But one question remains: Sometimes, when I catalog Biberall after a Terramodels reinstall, all the models are 180 degrees wrong. It is not a big problem, but it would be nice with a solution to it ;)Btw I have tried the fences procedure in different sceneries, and they end up perfectly aligned each time >:-)