Sign in to follow this  

Can't terrascene Gray's Harbor in WA state?

I'm on a spree of terrascening WA state, and have essentially the entire state (and much of OR) done. It's basically gone great, but I have a few problems:Somehow, I cannot TS the globe tile 167,165 (containing Gray's Harbor, WA). I mean, I can run TS, it goes fine, I get a nice POD file of what looks like the right size. But when I install it in Fly, and teleport to Bowerman, it just doesn't show up - I see only the default scenery.I've tried and tried again. I've removed everything else from my scenery and data directories. I've terrascened a 1/4 grid, a 1/2 grid, and the whole grid. I've done and redone it - I just cannot make this one show up :)Any idea what's up?Second question: the west coast of WA often has huge square blocks rendered just offshore. There's definately nothing there on the map but water. Anything I can do, short of re-TSing those areas and manually editing the bitmaps before I pod them?Thanks!

Guest WilliamD

First question:I tried rendering that quarter globe-tile and it showed up in Fly!2. The POD file was 62 mb and some change. There were a couple of problems with the area though. Hoquiam-Bowerman airport seems to be on a narrow peninsula, and when you teleport to the airport the plane keeps crashing. The tiles underneath need to be converted to land tiles, I think. There was also a pretty good-sized area of the coast at the outer part of the bay that had no land-use data, that rendered in the background texture. Since I usually render coastal areas with the background texture set to water, the area rendered as hilly-looking water.Second question: The patches in the water are areas where there is no land-type data, that Terrascene renders as background. To get rid of the big patches in the day segments if you're NOT going to use a water-mask, use water-ocean.jpg as the background texture. If you are rendering the water-mask, then you just need to paint those areas of the mask black. Make sure you do the re-painting in the segments and not the large composite image, because when you re-start Terrascene with "use existing segments" checked, it will erase the composite image before it recombines the segments.

Thanks for the tip. What eventually helped was deleting the USGS data files and letting TS re-download them. Maybe they got corrupted somewhere. Anyway I now have scenery for Gray's Harbor...

Well, I take it back - I don't have it fixed after all.What seems to be happening is that _sometimes_ Gray's Harbor is there, and _sometimes_ I get the default scenery. It seems random. Earlier today it was fine, and I didn't change anything (save for quitting and restarting Fly), and now it's gone!I'm back to being confused.

Guest WilliamD

Did you move the POD to another directory, and neglect to move the scenery definition file along with it? Do you have another scenery POD that could be conflicting?Also, check that "searchPodFilesFirst=0" flag in your fly.ini file. That can cause things like that when set to 1, if you still have the rendered scenery in the DATA directory and in a POD file too. I think there's also a "SearchotherDrives=0" flag too that could affect it - if you move the scenery to a CD-ROM or drive other than the one Fly!2 is on you will want it set to 1.