Sign in to follow this  
KenWood

TS Question - I Must be Blind...

Hey guys, I cannot seem to find the proper setting spot for choosing the water-ocean.jpg file for the background texture when I go to render coastal areas. What I think is the correct setting, doesn't make any difference - the ocean will still fill with ground image. I'm whining - I know, but as I cannot load an entire globetile tga once rendered to correct, this would make life a little simpler - as I get problems with rendered halves. Example: Portland, Maine area.. I render the upper half of the globe tile (NW and NE) then do the lower so I can correct the water areas - yet I cannot get the two halves to come up (dang overlap bug).Anyone's guidance would be most appreciated!Ken Wood :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Ken,Though this method can be used, I recommend against it. When you reset the background texture to a water type, you'll also end up with water in your land areas wherever there was any missing land-use data. Leaving it at the default puts in a marsh-type texture that does a great job of blending in these areas.Do you have any type of photo-editing sofftware? If you do, the best way to put water into the ocean areas where there is missing data is to clone/paint the texture in. When you render, don't slice right away. Then, open the small images and correct those water areas. Now, rerender and slice with "Use Existing" checked. Your corrected images will be used to make the new image before it is sliced and podded.Personally, I prefer to use the Water Mask so I get the Fly!II water, not the textured water. Editing this is really, really easy - as all you have to do is make all the water areas BLACK. :-) Then, rerender with "Use Existing" checked and you're on your way.Now if you really want to change the background texture, do the following: Click Options, Load Render Options... Unless you've created a custom texture set, choose Base Fly!2 Generic Textures (7.5 m/p). Choose Options, Land Types (day)... and scroll down to the bottom item on the list, Background Texture and select it. Note that the window on the right will now show the current texture for Background: base/swamp-bog.jpg. Click the Select button and change to the new texture, such as water-ocean.jpg, then click Select and Done.If you want to keep this set with that texture assignment, you'll need to go back to Options and Save it, otherwise it will revert to the original setting the next time you load TS. I prefer to Save such changes to a new name instead, and simply load my new set with a project, rather than changing the original Render Options Pack.

Randall Rocke

Hi Randall, Thanks for the tipss! I thought I'd made the texture change, but must have forgotten to do something else. I normally go in, delete the dataDxxxx folders associated with the area, would open the main tga in TSOutput and modify both day and water images. The open Fly! II and with the editor, redo the slicing. Lately, even PS Pro can't open the main tga(s) unless I do have a globetile at a shot.Will try the method you indicate, adjusting the smaller ones in the dataDxxxxxx folders next time round. Have gotten *most* of the Maine coast done, but as most know, the files even zipped at half-global tile size in most cases exceeds 150MB - so not too friendly for uploading.Many Thanks again for the response! Cheers!Ken Wood

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Ken,You're quite welcome!BTW, I've never produced more than a globe tile at a time - even then, it usually works best to edit the smaller images.A scenery pod that is larger than a globe tile really slams Fly!II when it tries to load it.

Randall Rocke