Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Modifying shapefiles........

G'day all,I've been trying to modify a shapefile using terrashape to convert the shapefile to a dxf file, importing the dxf file into quickcad and editing the dxf file. Once finished I use terrashape to convert back to a shapefile. However when I load the shapefile into my terrascene project and map the shapefile, when I re run the project terrascene runs fine, no errors, but when I fly over the new scenery the changes I made to the shapefile aren't included into the scenery. Can anyone please shed some light on the processes to be followed to modify a shapefile. I must be doing something wrong somewhere.Just one little quirk that I noticed. When I convert from dxf file to shapefile the file is *.shx instead of *.shp. Terrascene however still sees this file as *.shp.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest Colins2

G'day Roger,Shapefiles come in 3 parts, *.shp contains the data, *.shx is the index file and *.dbf is the database file containing things like descriptions etc. All 3 parts are necessary and TerraShape re-creates all 3 parts from your dxf file.The shapefile set will be named the same as your layer name.Each layer will be exported to it's own shapefile.All 3 files must be put into your TerraScene project.You don't say what type of file you are modifying?If it's a coastline file, then they are much more difficult than other types.Also, TerraScene processes these files in the order that they are loaded in to the project, so getting the order correct is important.You may be overwriting your edits with another un-edited file.I'm still working on the new tutorial, it shouldn't be too much longer.CheersColin

G'day Colin,Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to modify rdline.shp (roads) as I thought this would be an easy one to cut my teeth on. Well it was a good idea :-) even though the execution hasn't been as straight forward as I hoped it would be. 99% of my problem is I am not familiar with the workings of my cad program ( Autodesks QuickCad R7 ) and I have susequently found that all my files are in layer 0 of the dxf file. If I mask this then the screen is blank. All the named layers are empty. I think this might be the cause of my failed attempts to extract shapefiles full of data from the dxf file. Until last week I have never had the necessity to use a cad program I have a printout copy of the early manual for Terrashape and have been reading and trying to follow the basic concepts.I'm going to have another go this time organising the layers properly. Cheers,Roger @YSSY