Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Coastline GTP files .............so very close..yet so

G'day all,After a fair bit of modifying to the water mask and tga I've now got YSSY almost finished. Just got to modify the coastline file. :-)Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest Colins2

G'day RogerLooking good :)Editing the coastlines is probably the trickiest part, but conversely, the most satisfying.I think I was more pleased when I mastered that than all the rest put together (well, almost).CheersColin

Guest Fly II Pilot

Colin:You didn't edit the default coastlines, did you? If so, what tool did you use?I know about Terrashape's capabilities for editing shp files from ArcExplorer or so, but didn't know you could actually edit the GTP data.Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest Colins2

AlejandroYep, sure did :)I use TerraShape to extract the coastline file and then a CAD program to edit it. TerraShape will then convert the edited dxf file back into a GTP file.See this post for more details:Can't seem to post the shortcut, if the link doesn't work, just do a search for the word Nice as subject in this forum.ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=385&forum=DCForumID19Colin

Guest Fly II Pilot

Colin,Thanks for the info. I need some help!I'm using TShp 1.2 and TurboCAD LE, I extracted the coast lines to DXF but when I try to open it with TurboCAD I get a File Error, Line 0. Any idea what that could be? I looked at the .DXF with Notepad and everything looks fine...I was able to view the runway data with DIVA GIS software.Any ideas?Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest Colins2

AlejandroI can't say for sure without seeing a dxf file output by TurboCAD LE.Certainly my version of TurboCAD 6.5 works fine.Can you do me a favour?Start a new drawing.Draw a couple of polylines.Draw a couple of polygons, preferably on a new layer.Export as a R12 dxf file.If you can mail that to me then I can see if there's anything weird in the format.I put a new build of TerraShape on my site yesterday with a couple of minor fixes in.ColinMy Site

G'day Randall,Thanks mate. I'm going through a hell of a learning curve but I'm having fun with this sim and that's what it's all about. :-)Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day Colin,Thanks for all the help you are giving me. Terrashape is certainly a very powerful tool for scenery work. I can't say I've mastered anything ; bumbled my way along would be a better description :-lol ; a case of two steps forward one step back. But I'm learning and enjoying the challenge :-)Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Roger,To get the wave textures different do you modify the Fly ini or does the wind direction and strength automatically adjust it?I assume you have used Ocean VFR.:-beerchug 3nm NNE NZGS

G'day Flyfisher,Yep what you see is VFR Ocean by Andy Dale. I don't know anything about wind direction changing anything but you can alter the way things look by playing around with variables in FlY.iniTry changing the values in watertransperancy=watertiledensity=until you come up with a combination that gives a pleasing effect to your eye.I apologise for the delay in respondingCheers,Roger @YSSY

Hi Rodger,I see that you finally DID IT! Congratulations for try and try and try... I'm very happy for you! :-)Your scenery looks beautiful and can't wait to Fly! over it! Please share to us when you finish all. VERY NICE!BTW this approach is amazing! Cheers,Keyton Cabral

G'day Keyton,Thanks for the encouragement.Whilst I have achieved elimination of the watery runway/taxiway problem I introduced a new problemBlocky coastline for the rest of the groundtile outside of my project area.To cure this I have to do the complete coast of the groundtile ( I'm in the process of doing this)Yep I think Sydney has one of the nicest approaches ( but I'm biased )Cheers,Roger @YSSY