Sign in to follow this  

Misc Problems

I finally got around to creating some terrascenery for Fly! II, but there are a few problems with it. If anyone could shed some light I'd appreciate it. This is Cable Airport (CCB), which I've created taxiways and TerraModels for. As you can see the entire airport grounds are sunken about 250ft below all the surrounding ground. Additionally there are altitude discrepancies. The database is set to 1,439 ft., the 'Tab' debug info shows me at 1,181 ft, and my altimeter reads 1,210 ft. I slewed up to the top of the hill you can see behind me, and THAT altitude is very close to what the airport should be at, which is why I say 'sunken'. The entire area is dished in on three sides, and should all be raised level with the surrounding hillside. I don't believe its an issue with the Terrascene data, as I never encountered this problem with Terrascene I did for the same area in Fly!2k. Perhaps it is though, if Terrascene 2 is using different elevation data. Any idea what would cause this, or how to fix it?http://home.earthlink.net/~scissors2/fly/screens/fly0022.gifThis is Big Bear City (L35), which I terramodeled. The trees all appear to have transparency issues, and look like they all have a covering of frost. Not very appealing... In the distance you can see problems with Big Bear Lake.http://home.earthlink.net/~scissors2/fly/screens/fly0024.gifBigBear Lake weirdness... A closer view of the problem. This problem didnt appear before I terrascened the area. I did create a water layer when I terrascened. http://home.earthlink.net/~scissors2/fly/screens/fly0025.gifThanks in advanceBrad

Ok, Im at a loss. I've run Flattenator on the airport. I can compare the files and see that it set the elevations for Super Tile 4,3 to the correct airport altitude. (When I say 'correct' I mean the value in the Fly Database)But...When I enter fly, I find that now the runway floats 200ft above ground, but the ground is still in a dish. I can't land on the runway... I sink right through it. Also, the runway altitude, is still NOT at 1443ft, as it should be, but about 200ft below that, even thought he TRN file values do correctly list 1443ft as the altitude.What am I missing? Why can the TRN say one elevation, the runway be 200 ft below that, and the ground scenery another 200ft below that?

Is this a conflict with default scenery perhaps?Does Los Angeles have default scenery? I didnt think Fly! II included Los Angeles, but now Im wondering if there isnt TRN files hidden somewhere that are not getting overridden.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Brad,Did you use the Advanced option to flatten the airport or the automatic process?The automatic process sometimes changes the wrong tiles, you may want to do it manually.Take care, Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Brad,The detail elevation points, if they exist, take precedence over the super tile elevation points. If you only looked at the super tile points (25 points), they could be at the proper height while the detail elevation points may not be. The airport is rendered at the proper elevation, but the ground is not so you sink right through until you hit the ground. Assuming I'm right about this, you would have to fix this by editing the detail data in the terrain file.nick

I got it!Thanks for the replies. It was the automated flattenator. Advanced just crashes when I try to edit any ground tiles greater than 31. And yes, it wasnt working right in auto mode either. It was flattening only the center of a super tile, but the airport itself lies on the north east corner. So 4 super tiles ended up needing editing.Your right nikster, I finally figured out that there were detailed elevation points on the adjoining tile that I needed to fix. Once I did that the scenery popped up to 1447ft. (why 3 feet above assigned elev... ? but oh well.. close enough).