Sign in to follow this  

8x8 Detail Elevations

I'm at work, so off the top of my head....When you open the render options window in TS2, there is an "Advanced" button next to where you select to slice the scenery. Clikc on that button to get to the window where you can set the clicer parameters.Regardless, when you sliced the elevations with the slicer "manually" it should have worked fine. I just let TS2 do it first to see if it would work. All I did was create a new project containing 172,153. I only generated the elevations and had TS2 call the slicer to slice them. I don't know why it wouldn't work for you. Maybe try with a new project, and maybe move everything out of your Fly2/data directory.nick

Ok, finally got around to trying it again tonight. I tried it like 3 or 4 times now. I tried as you said through terrascene, and found the advanced settings. Tried first as subdivide of 20. Same output... mostly 4x4. Tried again w subdivide of 50, as you got to work. That didnt work either. Ok... hmmm. So I tried making sure "AGP" was enabled in fly graphics settings, thinking perhaps if high textures arent used, it limits the terrain detail as well. Tried to slice again... no difference. Its running again right now... strictly through the Fly Editor, but I doubt anything will be different.My flyslice (seen when running through terrascene) is versioned - 2.1.30, fly! 2.5.140.I dont get it... 'what' is going on here? :(Go ahead and email me those elevations. But I really want to figure this out. Something is broken here! doh!

Ok... I DID get some 8's now! When I did it manually through the fly editor. But...The quarter tile I 'wanted' as 8's... is all 4 or 2.! This is bogus, because the quarter tile Im talking about goes from probably 1,000 or less elevation.. to over 10,000 ft.Arg...What file sizes did you get for that globe tile?Mine are...g00.trn 522KBg01.trn 375KBg10.trn 1,092KB <- has alot of 8'sg11.trn 410KB <- this one should too... has just as many large mountains as g10.

I replaced my motherboard this weekend and am slowly reinstalling everything, but I'm at work now. Off the top of my head, g01, g10, and g11 were all quite large...over 1MB as you got with just g10. g00 was small as it is mostly ocean (right?).One thing you might want to try is to remove the DEM files for that area and download them again. If you don't want to try to figure out which ones are used for this area, you can temporarily rename the USGS folder (I forget th exact name here) to something else and create a new, blank USGS folder. Then TS2 will be forced to download all the data again. Just a thought if something else you can try.I should be able to send you the files tonight. At least they will give you a baseline for comparison to the files that you generate.nick

ThanksHaving something to compare to will help.

That's a good question, but I can't answer you. It was so long ago. I think I patched it because I remember going through the betas. Since I've been rebuilding my computer I will have to reinstall TS2 again anyway.I wouldn't assume anything is wrong with your TS2 install. I mentioned before that sometimes I would not get high detail elevations. The last time I sliced 187152 from within TS2 I had no high detail grids at DFW. I resliced the same ras file directly with the slicer and got a bunch of 2x2 and 4x4 tiles around there. I can't explain it, and I can't seem to find any consistency.Did you try redownloading the DEMs?nick

Hagar,If you put your own .ras file in the TS2 output folder, you'll also need to put in a .rat file. The .rat file is a text file that describes the .ras file (number of data points and the lat/long bounds). On the render dialog, select 'use existing' for the elevations section. On the same dialog, click the 'advanced' button next to the slicer option to get the detailed settings where you can select the subdivideTolerance (try something low, like 50) and the subdivideDensity (8) and you should get lots of elevation points. The .rat files look something like this (you can set geoWidth and geoHeight to 0, they aren't used):## RAS file descriptor## last modified 2003.04.22 AD at 12:21:55 PDTRas.bounds.geoHeight=175438.6178022984Ras.bounds.geoWidth=175438.6178022984Ras.bounds.lowerLeft.latitude=37.0Ras.bounds.lowerLeft.longitude=-123.0Ras.bounds.upperRight.latitude=38.0Ras.bounds.upperRight.longitude=-121.0Ras.xSamples=2402Ras.ySamples=1201

Guest Hagar

Aha! Thanks, Todd!It is always good to learn something new. So I put my elevations into the Output folder and make this simple .rat file. I`ll try this when I get back to my Enbr project :)