Sign in to follow this  

Terrashape and Inland Rivers and Waterways

I been reading the forums here on this terrashape tool. Is it actually possible to add rivers and lakes using SHAPEFILES,Terrashape and turbocad to the default FLYII scenery without having to terrascene?From what I have been reading this sounds like it can be done, but maybe I'm wrong. If this is true this is huge good news for FLYII.Please let me know how I can do this, as I am very interested in giving this a try.Thankskristian nader

Guest Colins2

KristianYou can do a lot of things with TerraShape.The main and original function is to convert shapefiles to dxf files so that they can be edited in (almost) any CAD program.TerraShape will import the runways and taxiways into dxf format as well so that they can be used as references when editing the other shapefiles. You cannot alter Taxiways or runways - well, you can, of course, but TerraShape won't do anything with those layers.TerraShape will also import and convert to dxf the coastline files.These are the base files that Fly! uses when drawing the default land.These files are a series of polygons representing each ground tile.These can be edited to improve them and the resulting layer can then be re-converted back into Fly! format.There are other functions as well, but irrelevant here.I'm still writing the new manual, but there is some documentation on my site with the program.Have fun :)ColinMy Site

Colin,I have read your manuals and dl the latest version of terrashape. I basically have a general idea of how it works. I've been able to export some of the default coastlines with it and then load them in turbocad for viewing and editing.What I would really like to do is to be able to create rivers and lakes for the United States without having to terrascene the areas. I love Terrascene, but it's a pain in the butt sometimes because the files are so large and sometimes the bitmaps have to be edited by hand.It would be great to be able to modify the default scenery without having to terrascene. The default scenery is missing many key rivers and lakes in the United States.I am very excited about this scenery tool because it has huge potential for FLY II. The only problem I had so far is I tried importing some shapefiles from the new Census 2000Tiger Line data for the United States (it's supposedly much more accurate then the other shapefiles) and terrashape crashes everytime. So I'm still working on trying to get it to work but for now I am having a few problems. Thanks for terrashape though. I am sure I figure it all out soon.knader

Guest Colins2

KristianIf all you want to do is to edit the default scenery then that should be easy enough.You may also need to get Ground Tile Transformer.The shapefile data can be used for reference purposes.Just make sure that all edits are done on the correct layer, colour is not important.TerraShape will only export what is on the COASTPOLYS layer.Colin