Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

where do I find the cloud textures?

Guest tonyc

I want to experiment with lowering the texture of the default clouds to see how they look while improving frame rates. I know that they end up in the ART folder; I simply would like to know in which pod they are stored. thanks.tony

Guest Hagar

Check Fly2SystemStartup.pod :)

Guest tonyc

thanks, Andrew. The first revised cloud, if I succeed, will be dedicated to you. :-)tony

Guest tonyc

Andrew, Would you know what the extension *.opa refers to? It's part of the cloud reference file, yet I can't find anything on this extension.tony

Guest Colins2

TonyIt stands for opacity.There are 3 files for the artwork, *.raw, *.act and *.opa.TRI produced plug-ins for photoshop to properly read these combinations.Colin

Guest Hagar

Thanks, Tony, and hope your project goes well, it`s a good idea :)

Guest WilliamD

An OPA is just a 256 grayscale RAW file. You can change the suffix for editing, and change it back later. Get Elrond Elvish's Fly! Graphics program, if you don't already have it. It's flygraphics10.zip in the Fly! Development section of Avsim Library. It contains most of the various and sundry conversion utilities.

Guest tonyc

I sort of got that, except that FLYfraphics refused to open it. I'll try again.tony

Guest tonyc

somehow the 256x256 cloud textures cannot be changed to another resolution. As soon as I try to reduce it to 128, FLYGraphics will not convert it, since it does not recognize it as a TRI file. Any sugestions? My thought is to have clouds having a lower resolution so that they can be more frame rates friendly.tony