Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

So, what about new cloud textures?

Guest tonyc

I've looked at the fly2 cloud textures and tried unsuccesfully to reduce the size of the textures. FLY2 will simply not recognize them. My thought was to reduce to 120x128 so that they would not tax the video card as much. Any ideas?tony

That was a typo right? You did mean 128x128?

Guest tonyc

yes, that was a typo. thanks for the correction.tony

Tony,Have you been using Jure's clouds or the Fly! II default?

Randall Rocke

Guest tonyc

Fly's defaults. My thought was to try to reduce the texture size from 256 to 128 and see the results. For clouds, this is simply not an option, it seems.tony

Tony,I just tried this myself, and it seems to work. I used one of Jure's clouds, converted it to a bmp, resized it, and converted it back to a raw. I put a big, black dot in the middle so I would know for sure that I got the modified cloud.Did you remember to also resize the .opa files for the clouds? I assume you have to do that, too. That's what I did. I'll do all of them and take a screenshot.nick

Tony,If you haven't used them yet, Jure's clouds are really great. Also, because of his textures, frame rates don't seem to suffer as much. Overall, the only time clouds have much of an effect on my frame rates is when there are a lot of them (cumulo + layers, etc.).For flying in heavy clouds, a different render.ini may be appropriate.If you really want to pursue this, I can't think of anyone more knowledgeable than Jure to contact.

Randall Rocke

Guest tonyc

MMM, that's interesting. I did not try Jurac's clouds, but I assume that the TrI's clouds would be the same. Can you do a check to see if your texture slots go from the 256 to the 128 in the video debug text?Yes, I did convert the opa files as well...at least I thought I did. I'll try again, but from the looks of your pics ,there does not seem to be a penalty in quality, yet we should see a pronounced benefit in terms of video card performance.tony

I just resized all the raw and opa files in Photoshop and resaved, about a 5 minute job. The clouds loaded but looked too grainy, so visual tuning would be required. But I guess I did see a framerate improvement...maybe not enough to really worry about it.I'm wondering what all the unused clouds in the startup pod are good for...some of Jure's clouds are actually these unused pod clouds...but there are some other good images in there that might make nice replacement overcast layers and such.Also in startup.pod were copies of the major cloud images in purple, or red-blue 3D. I put on my 3D glasses, but nothing impressive came out. Any opinions on these?

Tony,I did check the debug, and the clouds are definitely 128 textures.I resized the texture and then did gaussian blur with a setting of 0.60 (in paint shop pro) to smooth them out. I didn't bother blurring the opacity images.I haven't looked at the clouds in startup.pod, so I don't know much about these. As Jure's are a direct replacement for (some) of these clouds, modifying the basic clouds as you are attempting to do shouldn't be an issue. Maybe I'll give that a try, too.This may be really helpful for video cards with less than 64MB of ram. Even if the clouds don't look as good, it may be an acceptable trade for the performance....if there is a performance improvement.nick