Sign in to follow this  
Guest spenik

Does anybody know how to make a moving map?

Guest spenik

Hello everbody! I am afraid I can't say I know much about programing but in anticipation of the Lancair Columbia 300, I am looking for some infromation on making a moving map on the aircraft panel. I would make a link or attach a pic. or some thing but I don't know how. specifically, it's a Flight monitor from AvroTec/Avidyne. If you go to http://www.lancairusa.com/columbia300.html and there is a brochure that shows you some pics and gives some more info.If it can't be done... oh well.If it can... Yay! It will be more work for Dan Larson, but it is worth a shot.

I think there was a thread some time ago where someone mentioned using the existing FLY! Moving map object, and simply putting it under (or into) the MFD. It may have been in an earlier thread on Dan Larsons Columbia 300 project, but I don't remember. I don't remember when that discussion took place, or what the thread was called, but that seemed to be the direction that was being taken.I guess the only thing to do if that worked would be to iron out any bugs that might arise from flipping between the 'map' display and other information such as Engine info, Flight Plan info, etc.Happy Flying! :-waveT.C.

Guest Chris Wallace

Practically anything that can be programmed can be put into a gauge DLL in Fly! II. The problem is the amount of work required to write the code, and create all the artwork (maps) as well. In an unrealistically simplified example, if you already had a huge high-detail map of the world, it could be converted into a PBM file that would be loaded by your custom gauge at startup and just use APIDrawBitmapPartial to draw a small portion of the "world" surrounding the current aircraft position. Various APIDrawXxxxx routines could be used to overlay text and graphics as appropriate. There would be a lot more to it than that, but sure it's possible.BTW, the example that Bart refers to isn't what you are looking for...it is a sample custom DLL camera that looks straight down from directly above the aircraft.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Fly II Pilot

Chris,"BTW, the example that Bart refers to isn't what you are looking for..."I'm glad you said this, I was starting to go crazy because I couldn't find it anywhere... I was starting to blame Avsim's search engine... ;-)If I only new just a little bit of C++...Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce4 Ti4600 8xAGP 128MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBhttp://home.earthlink.net/~finsdad/FlyII/p..._aamigorena.jpg

Guest Chris Wallace

Hey Alex,FYI, you can find it by searching for "overhead camera"...it's in the Fly! II Miscellaneous section.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Fly II Pilot

Chris,That one I found, the one I was looking for was the Moving Map DLL sample... ;-)Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce4 Ti4600 8xAGP 128MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBhttp://home.earthlink.net/~finsdad/FlyII/p..._aamigorena.jpg

Alejandro,I don't ever recall an actual 'example' being mentioned, only that the idea was to use the existing moving map that was built into FLY! rather than build one from scratch, which is what I assume has to be done since there is no moving map object actually listed anywhere that I am aware of (in the SDK for instance).Sorry if my reply was a bit misleading.Happy Flying! :-waveT.C.

I just realized why there is no code to indicate how the Fly!II Moving Map was done...They had to use proprietary compression from a company called Earth Resource Mapping! They couldn't let that leak out into the public domain.So, if anyone is looking to make a moving map display it'll definitely be a 'from scratch' project.T.C.