Sign in to follow this  
Guest Colins2

GTOPO30 file viewer

Guest Colins2

HiHas anyone been able to use the GTOPO30 dem file viewer by Ashley Ruaux under XP?I recall using it under previous OSs (98, ME etc.) but it won't run for me on XP. I get a memory and/or commdlg32 error mesage.It's not a huge problem as plenty of other apps will display the data but there were some useful tools in there.Colin

Colin,I have not used this program before but it sure looks interesting. I downloaded it onto my XP machine and started it up. Now, I have no data right now to run in it, but I can verify that the program "opened" with no problems.Did your errors occur upon opening the program or only when you attempted to process some data?

Randall Rocke

Guest Colins2

Randall,I should have been more specific.I get the error when I click on 'File'.I don't think it can open the dialog box.You can test that part without any data to view.Colin

Colin,This is the DEM Data Viewer v2.01 software (by AsRux), correct?I'm having no problems using the file menu - when I click file, then Open GTOPO30 DEM..., I get the standard open file window, allowing for file type, directory, file name, etc.Also, when I click the Additional Converters File submenu, both converter's dialog boxes open up.Any chance you are using a version previous to v2.01? The installation instructions mentioned the Comdlg32.ocx file, but there was no such file in the package. I'm guessing that if you had an earlier version, that file was included to be placed in the system directory (as long as the included version was newer).If you placed this file in XP, that may be the cause of your problem. First, the version in XP is bound to be much newer - the one that came with the software is probably not compatible. Second, XP doesn't read this file from the system folder, it's already resident in the system32 folder - if you copied the original to the system directory, then XP is reading two versions of the file. :-) If by any chance you've overwritten the original XP version, you can probably extract a new one from your XP disk (or I can e-mail mine - it's only 137K and will probably compress some).

Randall Rocke

Colin,I'm out of town right now so I can't check it for sure but I have used it with XP and it worked.Don

Colin,Is the file viewer working now?

Randall Rocke

Guest Colins2

Hi RandallThanks for the suggestions, but nothing works for me?Sorry for the delay in replying, just arrived home again after a short vacation in ROTW land - not too far from Rennes :)There is no installation for the viewer, just copy the files to the directory of your choice and it *should* work,It used to work for me but doesn't now.I have the comdlg32.ocx in the system32 folder under XP.I have d/l the latest vb runtime and installed it.I get the viewer screen with the menus.The menu items work, but when I select one I get the error.The error says that comdlg32 cannot operate and that it might be a memory error. It isn't, I have plenty.I'm more curious now than anything else and I will try it on some other XP machines. I've just written my own gtopo extractor anyway so it doewsn't really matter. It would have been useful for checking my program.RegardsColin

Colin,You're certainly well-versed on the tech side of things (especially considering the coding work you have done). From my meager experience it just looks like a corrupt comdlg32.ocx file.BTW, I consider the Distance & Bearing Calculator one of the greatest Fly! tools of all time. Before my DB-editing tutorial got wiped by a drive crash, it was one of the stars of the document - a beauty of a program, especially for the ROTW when exact locations of components are unpublished or not readily available!

Randall Rocke

Guest Hagar

Colin, I have two versions of GTOPO30 on a CD, one for DTED files and one for GTOPO30, with the dll file included if you should need anything. I have no problems running it with XP Home, didn`t have to install the dll file either, as XP obviously had a newer version.

Guest Colins2

AndrewNow here's something strange???Just got back to work today and plugged in my portable HD into the work machine, running XP Pro, and the demfile viewer works fine.This is the same copy of the file that I tried to run at home.The only difference is that I have not run it before on this machine and I got the shareware notice up when it first started.Makes me think that it may be a registry issue somewhere.I'll try again when I get home, meanwhile........ :)Colin

Guest Hagar

Colin,The software world is strange indeed :)So you`re back to work. I lost my connection for a while, and built a new computer, can you send me a mail from work? Need to update my adress book which I again forgot to backup...