Sign in to follow this  
Guest pac

Create Mac dll from PC dll

Guest pac

Hy,As a mac user, fed-up to see many good things that i can't use, and i really don't want to go PC even if i really like Fly2I was wondering if, after reading some tuorials, i could transpose pc dll and make them work with my fly 2 mac.So it would be nice from you if you can tell me how can i proceed to make it.Thanks PacPM G3 B/W OS 9.2.2/10.2.6450 MHz, 512 SDRAMPCI ATI Readon 7000 ProPM

Guest jsippy

The only way to do it is to have access to the source code for the PC DLL and then recompile (or, more appropriately, re-link it) for the Mac.While a few folks have been managing to port DLL's to MacOS 9, I have yet to hear of anyone who has ported a DLL over to MacOS X.Porting DLL's is not difficult unless a large amount of Windows specific code was used. There is a "preset" within CodeWarrior that will include the correct libraries for OS 9, so all you have to do is have the code in order and link to the TRI libs. The problem for OS X at this point is lack of information on which kind of DLL Fly II for X needs (there are two kinds, "Carbon CFM" and "Mach"), and how to setup Apple's "Project Builder" to correctly link the DLL.So, as far as being able to simply convert a PC DLL, that would be great, but it is unfortunately impossible at this time.Hope this answers your question---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB

Guest pac

Thanks, john.So, as i understood i just have to get the authorization ( the code)to open the DLL file, and then a software to link code to a mac way.Do i have to know something about progamation, or, is there a tutorial about that? And the sofware i have to use to do it, were i can find it?Ps: I use OS 9.2.2 for Fly2RegardsPac (Paris France)PM G3 B/W 450512 Mb, ATI Readon 7000 Pro

Guest jsippy

There is no way to "de-compile" a DLL unless you wish to port it in assembler. (maybe one of Apple's driver programmers could actually pull that off). So typically what is done is to contact the author of the PC DLL and to ask their permission to port it to the Mac. If they agree, they will have to send you the source code, and you will have to have some programming knowledge (the skill level you will need depends on the complexity of the DLL) to do the port.With code in hand, you can let the complier-linker just try to link a Mac DLL. There will be errors appearing at the points where windows specific code is used. Sometimes it is a simple matter of substituting the Mac equivalent, sometimes it is a little harder. With any luck, and once all the errors are corrected, you should be able to link a valid Fly DLL for the Mac.Unfortunately, due to the widely varying complexity of DLL's, my description of the process here has had to be vague... The only certainty to the conversion process is that it will be different for every DLL you try to port.Cheers,---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB