Sign in to follow this  
Guest pilotsim7828

Terrascene 2.0 Texture Packs

Guest pilotsim7828

Can someone tell me where the Texture Packs went ?If I have TS2.0........ Not he newer version, Can the textures work with Version 2.1, And where can I find the old Texture packs Used for Fly! 1& Fly! 2K and be used for Fly! II ?How about it Todd Klause.......... Have`nt Heard from you in a whileStill Around ?Thanks Jeff

Jeff,The texture packs (also known as render paks) were removed from Avsim and public access a long time ago by Jak Fearon, their creator and head of HITW (How in the World). Todd Klaus has nothing to do with their being gone. Jak removed them as some individuals misused the textures and broke the copyright and licensing agreements.The textures were made for Fly!/Fly!2K, so they're not of much value today, unless you're still making scenery for the older sim. Jak allowed all of us who downloaded them from Dec. of 2000 to just before their removal in 2001 to keep them and use them for our personal scenery generation - we are not allowed to copy or transfer the textures to anyone else.Todd resolved this issue by creating a texture extractor in TerraScene 2.1 that extracts a texture set for scenery rendering from Fly!II. If you are a relatively new user of TerraScene, even if you want to make scenery for Fly!/Fly!2K, you must have Fly!II installed so can get a render pak. The render pak is then applicable to either sim.The reason Todd left the older render paks in the list is a number of us still have the old paks.

Randall Rocke

Guest pilotsim7828

I see.............Now that some of us have those render packs , Can make better scenery than those who Do Not have the render packs, Why dont they remove Terrascene 1.0 and 2.0???????????????If you downloaded 1 or 2.0 TS, And were new to this sim, It seems to me that the people coming in to this hobby, Need the render packs , Right ? I still have Fly! 2K ,with PMDG`s Wico 737 that came with the disk , Even though I dont have it installed ,It would be nice to have the tools to use ! Im hope you dont think I`m Venting on you , But thanks for the info,And the EYE OPENER !:-eek Jeff

Jeff,There's no reason for anyone to download v1.0 or v2.0. I'm guessing that the reason they were never removed from Avsim is that the author never requested it. Also, the first users of the beta release (including myself) were owners of v2.0 and were applying an upgrade patch. With the full version now available for download, those really aren't necessary anymore. TerraScene v2.1 is better than both of them and can make beautiful scenery for either sim version.Those of us who were lucky enough to have access to the original texture packs from HITW have a little more versatility when producing scenery for Fly!/Fly!2K - that's all. It's true that we can produce a wide range of scenery types without having to create new textures - however, a number of users actually prefer the new textures from Fly!II when producung scnery for Fly!, as the textures are very realistic for some geographic locations. There just aren't as wide a range - that's why I've been spending all this time trying to adapt them for desert/canyon colors. They will be available in a few days and you can use them for similar areas. They should "downsample" well for Fly!2K scenery too.At one point, Jak indicated he was making a new set of high resolution texture paks for Fly!II that had all of the versatility of the original packs. That would have been great - apparently, he was not able to finish them or decided it was a lost cause when Fly!II and TRI lost out in the marketplace.

Randall Rocke