Sign in to follow this  

Terrascene 2.1 rendering

First attempt using Terrascene 2.1 and Randall Rocke great project packs. Read TS manual, forums, everything I could find. However, everything goes smoothly during render process until message: "tk.ts.d.a.IO exception:C:program filesTerrascene 2.1texturesbaseswampbog.jpg (system cannot find file specified)"Cannot find/don't know where to look for such a file. Also tried re-rendering "using existing segments"--Where did I go wrong?

Which scenery are you rendering? If it's one of the Ohio or Carolinas scenery packs, the actual render pak they use is the Fly!II Base (7.5 m/p) render pak texture set. A main texture of that pak is the swamp-bog texture. This is the texture set that is created when you install TerraScene 2.1 and extract the textures.Did you extract the textures when installing TS? Did you install TerraScene in a different directory than C:Program FilesTerraScene 2.1?

Randall Rocke

Randall: I am using Akron, O. project pack. Error was mine-incorrectly copied data files by dragging and dropping instead of opening completely and copying. Got that corrected and pack completely rendered, however process stopped at FlyII slicer. FlyII logo screen came up at end followed by black slicer window with message "rce water image (C:program filesterrascene 2w.tga) not found or incorrect form" If I {OK} out the message everything stops. I feel I am so close after 4 hours of rendering, but don't know where to go next. Thanks, Ken W.

Ken,Not sure what's happening here - the slicer shouldn't be looking for any such file. Did you copy the water mask (file in the output folder of the Akron pack) into the output folder of TerraScene before you began the render? Was TerraScene empty of any data in the data-files and output folder before you copied the pack in?Since you've had a successfull render (all the images are done), all that remains is to slice the images into Fly!II graphic data and have the files podded. If you're certain that there are no inappropriate files in the output folder and you've created a temporary "replacement" data directory in Fly! II, then you can set up for slicing:Make the following choices under Tasks:a. Elevation mesh: use existingb. Day scenery: use existingc. Night scenery: use existingd. Water mask: use existingMake the following choices under Options:a. Use USGS datab. Save project before renderc. One image per globe tiled. Relief shadingSelect the rendering instructions:a. Slice with FlyEditb. Fly!2c. Make PODDO NOT select "Use existing segments" on the Options side - this would only be used if the main images had not yet been finished and you wanted the partial or edited images to be used to reduce time on a "redo" of the rendering.When you click Render now!, TS will look for files (finding that you already have them), prepare to render the images (then quickly skip this section to use existing). TerraScene will then start the slicer and you should be off and running.Some persons (just a few) have reported that if they render and slice in one step, they sometimes have trouble. They get around this by slicing in a separate step as I've outlined above, not selecting "Slice" the first time. Once they're certain all the images have rendered properly, they continue with the slicing.Ken, if you continue to have problems when slicing, I would appreciate some addtional information: processor, RAM, drive(s) capacity, Max segment size in the Render Options window, and the Maximum heap size you have set in the TerraScene2.lax file.

Randall Rocke

Randall, Still won't slice-followed your instructions carefully. The Fly2 slicer window comes up, then "Fly2 slicer determining tiles to process", then the same window error message "rce water image, etc."All three folders; data-files, output, and projects were empty before transfer of files from Akron pack. I copied the output folder (Akron 198-159w} as is. Do not know what is inside, string of "y"s? So do not know about water mask.I assume Terrascene2.1 was clean of any data since it was first time use. computer specs: 650 Mhz Pentium III; 256 MB RAM; 40 Gb Hard drive.Max segment and heap sizes in TerraScene 2.lax file left at default.Haven't looked at it. Thanks again, appreciate all the help. Ken W.

Ken,Again, this doesn't make any sense, but, let's try some things to see if the situation can be cleared up. The output folder file you mention is the water mask, so unless it's been corrupted somehow, it should work properly.Let's try these steps - after each step try to slice again with the afore-mentioned render setup. If it doesn't work, go on to the next step...each will get more drastic.1. Make sure the proper render pak is loaded. This should have been controlled with the opening of the Akron project file and shouldn't have any affect on slicing - yet it appears that the slicer is looking for a non-existant texture, so give it a try: Select Options, Load Render Options.... From the load window, choose the following render pak: Base Fly!2 Generic Textures (7.5 m/p). Save the project to make certain the render pack is used. Slice.2. If that doesn't work, remove my water mask file from the output folder. Render your own. Just set up for slicing, but select Water Mask: generate this time. It won't take very long to render the water mask, then the slicer will start. The only problem with this is you will lose all my water edits and end up with some markings here and there in the water, but if for some reason my water mask has been corrupted, this will tell us.3. If that doesn't work, delete all the new files with the "w" designation, and put my water mask back into the output folder. Maybe the Akron project files were somehow corrupted in the decompression. If you still have the original zip, extract new copies of all the folders and files into TerraScene (but keep all the new images you rendered in the output folder so you don't have to rerender). Slice.4. If that doesn't work, you may have a Java Runtime problem. Download the latest version of Java Runtime for Windows (JRE) and install from here: http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/1.4.1_02/ . Also, go to Windows Update and download and install any Java modules that are available for upgrading. Slice.5. If that doesn't work, we can only conclude there is a problem with your TerraScene 2.1 installation. Save all your rendered images in the output folder to a temp folder, then uninstall TerraScene and remove any of the remaining TS directories. Download a new copy of TerraScene 2.1 and install it. Run the extraction program to get all of your new textures in place. Copy my files back into TerraScene. Copy your previously rendered images back into the output folder. Cross your fingers and slice.

Randall Rocke

Randall: Have tried all up to step 2. Output folder in TS 2.1 has 22 files, mostly all .tga. Which one is water mask? Or do you mean remove output files from Akron pack? If so, what happens to the files in TS 2.1 output folder? I apologize for being so dense.Ken W.

Ken,Something is very wrong if you only have 22 files in the output folder. If your Max Segment Size in the Render Options window is set to the default of 2500, then you should have around 105 files in the output folder. They would be:--49 day image minitiles + the completed day global image--49 night image minitiles + the completed night global image--4 files for SCF, TXT tile descriptor, elevation data, etc.--1 completed water mask global imageLooks like most of the images never actually got rendered, or you had the Max Segment size set to something gigantic.If you could post two screen shots for me, I will look at them this evening and see if anything jumps out:--a shot of the main map window in TerraScene after opening the Akron project file--a shot of the open TerreaScene 2.1output folder from Windows so I can see what's in it.

Randall Rocke

Randall: Max segment size shown as 4000, same as when I opened program first time. Hope these attachments turn out-- the output folder is too large to open (4.81 Gigb) couldn't open each file, most are 32MB or so. e.g. Akron-198-159w-4-2.Ken

Randall, sorry, I'll try again! Ken

Ken,What I was looking for is a PrintScrn image bitmap from your desktop of the TerraSceneoutput folder as it appears in Explorer or My Computer. I wanted to see the list of the files in the folder - I don't want to look into any of the files. :-)First of all, the default Max Segment Size is 2500, not 4000. 4000 is a great setting when you have enough memory and you've edited the max heap size to about 20mb less than your RAM. If you haven't changed this setting (max heap), the computer may bog down when rendering or slicing at a 4000 level.BTW - you should have around 57 files in the output folder, if you rendered at that setting.The total files should add up to around 4 GB - this will vary with the amount of texture detail in a scenery. Once you've successfully sliced, you'll end up with a scenery pod that will average about 380MB in size and will be able to safely delete all of those files in the output folder - and in the Fly! II temprary data folder.

Randall Rocke

Randall: I think this is what you want. Ken

Randall --I give up trying to get this bitmap sent. Here is the list I think you want: contents of TS 2.1 output folder:Akron -198-159 (5 of these)Akron-198-159 1-1 thru 1-5Akron-198-159 2-1 thru 2-5Akron-198-159 3-1 thru 3-5Akron-198-159 4-1 thru 4-5Akron 198-159 5-5 thru 5-5Akron 198-159n 1-1 thru 5-5 (25 files)Akron 198-159w 1-1 thru 5-5 (25 files)

Randall: You must be right, trouble is in output file. There are only 82 files there. (My list should include 198-159n and 198-159w)Ken

Ken,OK - the reason you have more files than normal for a 4000 setting is you have water mini-tiles. The only way you should have these is if you didn't use my water mask and chose "generate" for the water - I'm guessing that's what you've done. If this scenery still doesn't slice, then the problem is not with my water mask - you should use it so that you have the errors removed from water bodies. You've got most of the files - let's clean house a little bit and see what happens:1. You list (5)Akron-198-159 types - what are they? You should have a RAS, a RAT, an SCF (it may have no suffix), and a TXT file. What's the 5th? Is it the Akron-198-159.tga? If it is, that's your main day image, and it should be around 814MB in size. If it IS the day image, delete all of the day mini-tiles (Akron-198-159-1-1.tga thru Akron-198-159-5-5.tga).2. Since you don't have the night image finished, leave all the "n"-type mini-tiles in place to help generate it (Akron-198-159n-4-1.tga, etc.).3. Delete all of the water-mask mini-tiles (Akron-198-159w-1-1.tga thru Akron-198-159w-5-5.tga). Put my version of the water-mask back in (Akron-198-159w.tga).4. Open the TerraScene2.lax file with a text editor (like Notepad) and find this line: LAX.NL.JAVA.OPTION.JAVA.HEAP.SIZE.MAX - following that line is the setting for Maximum heap size. Edit the setting to read as follows: lax.nl.java.option.java.heap.size.max=230m. Before rendering, be sure to close down everything - don't run any background programs or any other programs while TerraScene is running. Turn off everything: Anti-virus programs, screen savers, messengers, e-mail...everything. With 256MB RAM and 230 of it given to TerraScene, you might be able to complete the render with segment sizes of 4000. If not, then you'll need to wipe everything and start over with a segment size of 2500.5. Start TerraScene and load the Akron Project file. Click Render and make the following settings:Under Tasks:a. Elevation mesh: use existingb. Day scenery: use existingc. Night scenery: generated. Water mask: use existingUnder Options:a. Use USGS datab. USE EXISTING SEGMENTSc. Save project before renderd. One image per globe tilee. Relief shadingDo not select Slice at this time - we just want to make certain that you get a finished render of all the images first. Render - this souldn't take too long. It will skip the elevation, skip the day image, use the existing night tiles to knit together the full night image, skip the water mask, then stop. Check the output folder - you should have a complete night image: Akron-198-159n.tga. If you do, you're ready to slice.Reset for slicing:Under Tasks:a. Elevation mesh: use existingb. Day scenery: use existingc. Night scenery: use existingd. Water mask: use existingUnder Options:a. Use USGS datab. Save project before renderc. One image per globe tiled. Relief shadingSelect the rendering instructions:a. Slice with FlyEditb. Fly!2c. Make PODCross your fingers - the slicing will take several hours with your system (if all goes well). If not, delete everything from the output folder, everything from the temp data folder in Fly! II, copy my water mask back into the output folder, open the Render window and reset the Max segment size=2500. Follow the instructions that came with the pack and everything should come out - if not, there's something wrong with the TerraScene installation.

Randall Rocke