Sign in to follow this  

Gmax

Hi, has anyone ever tried to model an aircraft in Gmax? What's the process for export from gmax? are plug-ins to FLYII available?Rene S.

Guest Hagar

Hi Rene,I tried using the 3DSMax export dll for exporting from GMax, but unfortunately it didn`t work out... I whish somebody could make an export dll for GMax!!!!That way, a HUGE amount of people would be able to finally use a High-End 3D program for making Fly II models! I`m kinda surprised this haven`t been done yet, it would certainly help Fly II gain momentum...

Guest CaptainJ

Gmax is just a basic 3D studio only studio has got more options, the way of making aircraft is almost the same, So when you expert Gmax you can easely go on with 3D Max (don't try to understand all the options of Max they are not importand just keep it by the basics), see Gmax as a stepup...........

Guest Chris Wallace

Maybe something has changed, but I don't think gMax allows third-party export DLLs to be developed. The whole point was that they charge game developers/publishers big bucks for a license to create development packs for their games. TRI was never able to afford the licensing AFAIK, and there are no resources available to independent developers either.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Hagar

Mmm. Hooray for the greedy showstoppers.

Guest Chris Wallace

TANSTAAFL. The families of the programmers at discreet have to eat too, you know. There are other alternatives such as trueSpace, Z-modeller, maybe PPE, but to date there has been little interest expressed by modellers to use these programs for Fly!Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Hagar

"TANSTAAFL"Robert E. Heinlein...great SF books ;)Regarding Fly II there are too many "maybe`s" with those other programs me thinks.

I was messing with IMSI TurboCAD Professional v7 and noticed it had a "3DS - 3D Studio" save option. Is that the format required for Fly!II?John S. MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Student 42+ hours.Virtual: Fly!II, KPHX, MidCon, PMDG Boeing 757-200

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest Chris Wallace

I'm not a 3D Studio user, but what can be done with a 3DS file? TRI's format for importing to the model editors is S3D (Simple 3D), a proprietary text format that is not the same as 3DS. So you'd still need 3D Studio to load the 3DS produced by TurboCad, then export it using the plug-in, right? Sorry, it's been a long day at work and maybe I didn't read this correctly...Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Fly II Pilot

Chris,My mistake, you're right, he'll need 3D Studio and TRI's plugin to create the S3D file. Or somebody who has 3D studio may be able to do it for him as long as the person is given the textures, etc.Sorry,Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce4 Ti4600 8xAGP 128MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBhttp://home.earthlink.net/~finsdad/FlyII/p..._aamigorena.jpg

Guest Hagar

I was mostly thinking about the ability to export the S3D format when I said that. I was also generally thinking about other nice, but too expensive software, but I didn`t say it....Anyway I still allow myself to get irritated over prices and how to get the right tools without selling my house.

I don't plan on doing any 3D modelling for fly (not that good at it as is) I just saw it while I was playing around with it and was just curious, doesn't cost as much as 3DS so I figured maybe it'd be an affordable solution for those with more time and ambition then I. Hehe.John S. MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Student 44+ hours.Virtual: Fly!II, KPHX, MidCon, PMDG Boeing 757-200

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest flystudio3d

Hi all, remember 3dstudio is not the only one to create S3D file.FS design studio from Abacus has a plugin for exporting models in Fly! and FlyII. And it's very cheaper :)Dear regardsGiorgio Gnesda