Sign in to follow this  

importing 3d model into Fly2

Hi I have an 'almost done'* 3d model in 3dmax and trying to import it into FLY. Import goes alright, but when seeing the model, it displays with nose down. I tried to rotate the model in 3dmax to the appropriate position, but no matter what rotation I use (and save), display after export->import is always the same??I saw this mentioned in the ROTW manual, but rotating doesn't help. Any other way of switching the axes?Btw, I double checked I'm exporting the model with World coordinates selected. But one never knows.Thanks,Rene S.

Hello ReneIn 3Dmax, reset the pivot of the body center.(Hierarchy->pivot->affect-pivot-only->reset)After that position your aircraft with the nose in the positive Z world direction.Jean

Hi Jean,Never thought of that, silly me. Thanks for the hint, will give it a try tonight. If any problems, will come back to you.take care,Rene S.

Hi Jean,It worked fine. Just one more thing. All animated parts display well after import to keyframe editor, but if I see the plane in Fly2, only elevator moves (no move of ailerons, flaps, gear or propeller). Any idea why? It must be somethins simple, but can't think of anything.Cheers,Rene S.

Guest CaptainJ

Hi Rene,yes it is simple,make sure that every moving object is properly signed in the world files! for example if you have called your rh aileron aileron_rh look in your .wng file that under the lh wing properties the partname of your aileron is there.... -- Right Wing/Aileron Section Data wing Right w/Aileron -- Airfoil Name -- Wing Airfoil -- Win Area (sq.ft) -- 74.8 -- Wing Span (ft) -- 13.0 -- AC Location (rel. to MAC) -- 19.5,0,4 -- Incidence Angles (deg) -- -3.5,0,10 -- Use Ground Effect -- -- Ground Effect AGL (ft) -- 10.4 -- Ground Effect Fudge Factor (should be 1.0) -- 0.1 -- Ice Drag Coefficient -- 0.02 -- Flap Entry -- -- Control Channel -- RightAileron -- Keyframe Model Part -- aileron_rh <--------- this one - -- Lift vs Flap Angle Data -- -0.461 -- Drag vs Flap Angle Data -- -0.05