Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher

Terrascene

I have just used terrascene for the first time for KJAC.As recommended by David Kohl I renamed my FlyII data folder and after rendering then had the 'new'data folder from the Terrascene as well as my renamed former data folder.David says the 'new'folder can be deleted and the renamed former data folder renamed back to data.My questions are:1) what are all the files that are deleted in the terrascene 'new' data folder?2) Do I understand correctly that all the relevant data produced by the terrascene process is contained in the scenery POD file and scf file thus making it safe to delete the 'new' terrascene data folder?Thanks,:-newbie

1) These files and directories contain the raw data that make up your new scenery. In the podding process, all of the needed items were put into the POD and SCF file - keeping this data would not only be redundant, but force Fly! to load the scenery from the data folder - a very, very slow process! Also, you will want your regular data folder back, as you probably have some specialized sceneries and/or taxiways in it, etc.2) Yes.

Randall Rocke

After making about 20 gigs worth of Terrascene scenery (Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana :)) I have found that David Kohl's and Randall Rocke's advice to be golden, a big thanks to both of you, and if they said it... it works well, and you'll be happy, you'll enjoy Fly.Just my two cents worth.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest dajackman

I never knew this. I have a couple gigs worth of awsome scenery. Is there a way I can delete some of these files manually? If so, what do I delete and what do I keep. Thanks!!

That might be difficult, depends on what you've added in to the data folder. I have Wayne Roberts airports for all of the Terrascene scenery I have produced so there are several files from those. I just tried looking into the folder to see if I could remember what was there with just the default installation :-eek, what a mess! I will look on my office computer Tuesday cause I think only the default files are there and I can tell you which ones are critical. For the most part all of the folders with a "d" at the beginning are the files in question used by Terrascene. They don't always want to delete easily, I have had to wait for some long periods of time to get them to go bye-bye. As stated above, some of the airports (and I'm sure other scenery add-ons) will also place items into these "d" folders so you might try deleting those "d" folders then re-install any scenery you question (usually a quick read of the readme included with the scenery will indicate if there were any files to place in those "d" folders).Hope this helps and I will post on Tuesday regarding the default files unless someone beats me to the punch.Regards,ZanePS hope you got your graphics card problem worked out. I have been extremely happy with my Ti4200 and with the render I posted some time back (and the cooling fan) haven't had another CTD.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

If you didn't delete the data subfolders TS adds to the data folder during scenery slicing, you'll eventually have problems. If you've produced a lot of TerraScenery without deleting these files, Fly! II may not even be able to run, as it will be forced to load tens of thousands of files during startup!On average, TS will create around 9 folders while slicing a global tile. The folders represent the global tile you were working in and a number of bordering tiles. Each is denoted with a "D" followed by the global tile number, such as D199155. This would be the data subfolder for global tile 199,155.1. The border tile folders will only have a file or two in them - all TRN files. If you open a folder and it has nothing but TRN files, you can safely delete the folder.2. The main scenery subfolder is a whopping, gigantic folder. It contains all of the image data in OPA, ACT, and RAW file form. This image shows the contents of the D199155 subfolder for the Raleigh, NC scenery I just finished - it contains 21,910 files!. Of course, it takes a little time to delete, but be patient - it will be gone eventually.

These folders are the big culprits - imagine if you made 3 global tiles of TerraScenery, but you didn't delete these files when finished - that's over 60,000 files you just added to the startup of Fly! II!3. If a folder contains not only TRN files, but other types of scenery files: .SXX sceneries, TM files and others, delete the TRN files but leave the other files intact.4. If you aren't sure that one of the big folders doesn't have needed scenery files mixed in with the 20,000+ other files, then use a process of elimination. Search for all the RAW, ACT, and OPA files in that folder and delete them. There will only be a few files left - if they are Sxx scenery files of some type, keep them and delete the rest. If none of them are standarrd scenery files delete them along with the folder.Obviously, by creating a temporary data folder just for scenery production, then deleting the entire thing when finished followed by a restoration of the original data folder prevents any problems from occurring.

Randall Rocke