Sign in to follow this  
swambast

Modifying airport scenery/objects?

Newbie here! Can someone please point me in the right direction as to how I get started altering scenery and objects? I have the newly posted Mettetal Airport, and would like to do alter the objects that are there. Thanks for your insight! Regards,SteveSYSTEM SPECS:Dell 8200 P4 2.6 Ghz, 768 RDRAM 800, 80/120 GB ATA133 HDD, GeForce4 Ti4600 w/44.03 Omega Drivers, DirectX 9.0b, WinXP Home, SoundBlaster Audigy 2 with 6.1 speakers, CH Products Flight Sim Yoke USB, CH Products USB Rudder Pedals

Guest Eagle

Steve, I am the one who did the airport using Terramodels. You may be able to unpod the files and then try using Terramodels, but I don't know if that will work. The other way is to use the FlyII Editor.Others on this forum may have done it and can help.

OK, well then let me first start off by saying THANK YOU for your hard work and efforts! It was fantastic to be able to take off from my own airport, and I do have a lot of hope and excitement for Fly2!There are several things I need to modify for Mettetal. For example, there are only small prop planes at the airport, since the runway is too short to accomodate others. I would like to remove the jets that are present. Also, taxi lines exist but they are out of place, etc. Now, I want you to know that it is easy for me to be critical, since I can't do any of the work, so please don't take this the wrong way. I am grateful for your work, I just would like to get down to tweaking the details, and making it as accurate as possible, and you have given me more than an exceptional start!I am totally brand spanking new to the editing thing. So, I don't know even where to start (for example, where do I find/load the 'Editor'?) Is there a good tutorial out there that someone can recommend? In an nutshell, here is what I am trying to accomplish:1) Modify/add some Mettetal airport scenery objects, and some taxiways. 2) Create realistic satellite scenery for this area. I've flown some areas that have the accurate satellite textures rendered on the ground, and it is AWESOME! I would like to be able to do this around my home airport as well! How do I get started?Thanks much again everyone!Steve

Guest Eagle

Hi again Steve. I can make the changes that you want as far as removing the jets. The taxiways I can add, but not sure about centerlines, I will have to take a look at airport. For these changes you cannot use the Fly Editor, it will have to be through terramodels. If you can take a picture of the area and tell me what you want done I will make the changes. To take picture in Fly press CTRL+Tab. The picture is saved to the root directory of Fly. To get to the editor while in Fly press CTRL+E.As far as realistic scenery for the area your best bet would be to discuss with Randall as he is the expert in that area. Leave a message for Randall in the main forum and he will get back to you.Let me know if you need more help.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Steve,A good source (although painful) for satellite or aerial pictures is simply mapquest, YES www.mapquest.comThere are certain areas (generally large populated areas) that, in addition to having the regular map, also have the aerial view.Choose the big map, then use Screen Print to capture that aerial view, save the image, go to the next section and do the same until you've covered the entire area. Using Photoshop then merge all the separate images into one large one and save it as TGA.Then, using Terrascene, render the area you want using the default textures but don't slice it. Let Terrascene create just the TGA files. Once Terrascene is done, size the big TGA file you created with the aerial views and paste it on top of Terrascene's TGA. Once you got everything lined up properly (you may have to rotate the image a little bit), resave the TGA file. Go back to Terrascene and now slice selecting "use existing" for Day Scenery in the render options window.There may be better ways, this is just an idea. I started to do this with College Park, MD but I somehow managed to delete all the images... :-(Good luck!Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce4 Ti4600 8xAGP 128MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Thank you everyone! Yes, mapquest turned out to be a fantastic source! But, I really don't understand what I'm doing when it comes to trying to get the satellite images into Fly2. I now see (at a very basic level) how the Fly2 Editor can be used to alter the objects (so I can remove the jets, etc.), but don't know where to start on integrating the satellite imagery. For Example, how do I know which "zoom" selection to use with the satellite imagery? And, unfortunately, I don't know "JACK SQUAT" about Photoshop (but would be willing to learn). Well, this begs the question, is this something I can do, or is it out of my experience/skill range? For example, "Then, using Terrascene, render the area you want using the >default textures but don't slice it. Let Terrascene createjust the TGA files." HUH? DUH, I'M SO NEW - I don't know what that means! Well, I would love to one day fly VFR over my home airport, and perhaps have it look like the picture I've enclosed. Is that possible with Fly2? If so, I'll try all I can to make it happen!Regards,SteveSYSTEM SPECS:Dell 8200 P4 2.6 Ghz, 768 RDRAM 800, 80/120 GB ATA133 HDD, GeForce4 Ti4600 w/44.03 Omega Drivers, DirectX 9.0b, WinXP Home, SoundBlaster Audigy 2 with 6.1 speakers, CH Products Flight Sim Yoke USB, CH Products USB Rudder Pedalshttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/35929.jpg

Guest chezz

Steve,You can use the photo that you attached to render your home aiport using terrascene and photoshop.chris-rpll