Sign in to follow this  
KenWood

Randall, any idea??

I downloaded some Hawaii 1:24K (7.5min) SDTS DEM and LULC data from geocomm.com/EROS site. I placed it in the manually added folder, renamed them. I rendered Oahu and no LULC and the system generated the area so fast, I think the DEMs weren't touched. I did not go the full slice/pod routine. But my roads and DLGs came out fine. Should I have not renamed the files? Is there a problem with the newer format of SDTS with TS? Thanks for any insight!!Sidenote: geocomm is S L O W for the free downloads!! :-eekCheers!Ken Wood :-sun1Gateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Ken,As I recall, there may have been some compatability issues with the DEMs from Geocomm, though Todd may have adapted for some of those issues in TS 2.1. Are you trying to use USGS files? They do exist for Oahu. Some LULC data is also available, but not all of it.I would recommend first rendering (not slicing) with strictly USGS data to see what (if anything) is missing for that area. If there are any gaps, then add shapefile data "on top" for those regions.

Randall Rocke

Hi Randall, Thanks for the help! I am using USGS DEM data, though Oahu lacks stuff for the North/East end of the island. West seems okay, but almost all airports appear mis-located. I found enough data to get decent renderings for Kauai and Niihau islands, but major problem is airports are still located over water areas at approach end or appear off a bit. TS does not recognize the DEM data from Geocomm. They have a message about a format change, but its something I don't quite understand, as a basic TS user. For the LULC - I forgot to add them via Digital Maps selection (doh!).Forgive me for this one, but is there a simple calculation formula to take decimal degrees to min/sec for lat/long? I usually use Photomaps to get my coordinates, but Hawaii has no apparant photos from Terraserver for downloading. :-(Many thanks for the assist!Cheers,Ken Wood :-sun1Gateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Ken,The airports may actually be correct - it may be that the default scenery's coastlines are a little off. If you've TerraScened, then the USGS-covered areas should be correct. If the airports still touch the water, then they may need to be corrected in the database. Though the USGS is missing some LULC and DLG info, I think the DEM coverage is total for that area, and you should not need additional elevation data.As far as conversion goes, I simply plug the lat/lon into Colin's great DistCalc program - it will instantly convert to 3 different types of coordinates.

Randall Rocke

Guest Colins2

Ken,As Randall mentioned, Fly Dist_Calc will transform your coordinates for you. It's in the library here.Decimal degrees to deg min sec:eg. 1.48042

Thank you very much, Gentlemen! Your help is appreciated, as always!Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1Gateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️