Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher

Randall, question about terrain elevation / mesh and TS2

Randall,Downloading files using ArcExplorer from ESRI for TS2 the terrain is still very flat for some parts of NZ.Christian Stock uploaded very good terrain mesh for MSFS2K2.Is it possible to use this with TS2?Thanks,Ian

Ian,Shapefiles do not contain elevation data, but are used to render land use and DLG images. Your elevations would stay whatever they were in the default.I don't know that Christian's source of data for MSFS would be compatible with Fly!II, but I can tell you that Fly!II own scenery engine can import digital elevation data.If you search under "elevation" in the Fly!II file library, you'll find:1) A TRI PDF document on importing scenery using the built-in scenery editor: sceneryimport.zip.2) A tutorial by John Tennent on using GTOPO30 data in Fly!II3) You may want to contact Don Bishop and see how he imported the elevations for his Aleutian Islands scenery.4) Likewise, you may want to contact Daniel Vickers re: his elevation imports for Australia-Brisbane.

Randall Rocke

Randall,Thanks for your reply.I'm keen on trying to create some better scenery of NZ and have made a start but obviously will need to experiment a lot.Ian

Hi Ian, Although not quite as good, have you tried the GTOPO 30 data that is available for world-wide? You do have to run it through a converter process, but the results aren't too bad. I did attempt to do McMurdo Island and region using the GTOPO 30 data with halfway decent results for Fly! a couple of years ago. May start up that project again, once I have the Seawind project completed.EDIT: The data can be found here: http://edcdaac.usgs.gov/gtopo30/gtopo30.htmlCheers from a CHCH/Deep Freeze visitor!Ken Wood :-sun1Gateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster