Sign in to follow this  
Guest laurentC

Debug Display

Guest laurentC

Many Thanks to Jennifer Goss and Paul Russell for the debug display improvement : it's really usefull and I will use it for many hours for sure ...eh, eh !That's a big surprise and a real joy,Thanks a lot,Laurent Claudet (rotw = group of fans)

Guest Eagle

Is there a way to find out where all the data that is displayed comes from?

Guest Chris Wallace

The data comes from internal variables in the engine, aerodynamic surface, etc. modelling software internal to Fly! II. Some of it is derived directly from things like control inputs (throttle, aileron, etc.), but most of the variables are dependent on the various mapping tables in the control (.WNG, .NGN, etc.) files. Most of the fields should become relatively clear after reading simguy's original Fly! notes, a bit of general research into engines and aerodynamics, and some experimenting. As usual, post here with specific questions and someody may be able to help.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Eagle

Thanks Chris:Here is my problem in working with the Seawind I have been able to get the plane to float on water. The problem is getting the plane to stop and I have thought of using an air brake for that purpose.The debug utility, when looking at the wheels section, indicates that the plane is onGround, however when the plane in on the water I do not get an onGround indication. Using the Beech floatplane by ROTW there is an onGround indication when on water. This would appear to indicate that the program does not recognize that the Seawind is on water. You cannot describe the Seawind strictly as a float plane as it has wheels that retract. It needs to be able to land on water and ground. The landing on water has been accomplished, but the plane will not stop and I believe that is because the program does not know the plane is on water.I need help in describing what the terms mean in the WHL file. Is it possible to have two WHL files? One would describe the retracting landing gear and the other would describe the floats.I have the design notes, but there is nothing on the wheels or WHL file.In other words, I am confused.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Chris,"reading simguy's original Fly! notes"Which notes are you referring to? Are those the Fly!2K notes which consists of a series of Word documents with hyperlinks? If so, I have that.Thanks,Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce4 Ti4600 8xAGP 128MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest tonyc

Clearly, the association should be with some form of "drag". Why don't you look at what Rotw did with their "sea staggerwing? tony

Guest Fly II Pilot

Tony,I don't think you can land on the ground with the Sea Staggeriwing (that is, whithout causing catastrophic damage ;-) ). There are no sea/land aircraft in Fly!II and it doesn't seem like TRI ever contemplated that possibility...Take care,Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce4 Ti4600 8xAGP 128MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest Chris Wallace

Ahhh...interesting. I don't actually know for sure that the WHL format supports amphibious gear. I expect there is maybe a datatag that indicates whether the gear uses floats or wheels?There is no way that I know of to have two WHL files. You may be faced with the unpleasant fact that it's just not supported. You might just have to provide two versions of your plane, one for land and one for water. You're in terra incognita here as far as I know. It doesn't sound like you're confused, I'd say you're doing everything right in trying to break down the problem and work through it...there just might not be a solution.When I mentioned the design notes I was thinking mostly of the aerodynamic surface info (and a bit of engine stuff). I'm sure you're right about there not being anything in there about the ground suspension model...sorry if that was misleading.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Chris Wallace

Yup, that's what I'm thinking of.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Eagle

The plane will land on both water and ground. I don't think TRI thought about a sea/land plane, but I cannot believe we are unable to create such a monster.I notice with the Beech by ROTW when you land on water and press the "B" key it will stop. That is what I want to do with the Seawind. Once you get the plane to slow down you can control it and have the plane go where you want. In looking at the files for the Beech I notice there is an Air Brake. Any idea on how I can incorporate that into the Seawind?I know this will work, I just need to find out how to do it. We can have a sea/land plane for Fly.

Guest tonyc

I was thinking more about water and plane, not water-land and plane. Oh well....tony