Sign in to follow this  
Guest Davetron

Terrascene 2.1- Bridges Have Become Tunnels

Guest Davetron

Hi, I had given up on FLY II about a year and a half ago, decided to try it again, and have been pleasantly surprised...I am a happy camper now!! Here is my question. I am using Terrascene 2.1 to generate some sceneryin my area. I have roads, fields, cities, night textures, etc. My problem isthat my bridges have turned into tunnels. If viewed from above, they arethere...just underwater. I am sure this issue has been addressed in the past. Have tried searchingthe forum for an answer but have had no luck. Any suggestions for a fix?? Thanks in advance, Dave

Dave,When TRI created Fly!II with its more reallistic water (reflective), it changed the way in which roads (bridges) appeared when TerraScened. If you do not use the new water (with water masks), then the water areas will be represented by a water texture in the manner of Fly!/Fly!2K - the bridge areas will appear in the normal fashion. When water masks are used, the reflective water has a tendency to hide the bridges, or make them appear as shadows.I prefer the new water, so I have been happy to live with the "shadow" bridges. However, if this bothers you, you may be able to get them to appear with a little editing. Open the water mask in Photoshop or a similar image-editing program. I always do this anyway, as there are usually some anamolies that will need to be removed (inappropriate lines in the water). Wherever there are bridge lines, "expand" the width of the road a little, putting a little white on either side of the bridge (just a very small amount). This will be seen as land area by TerraScene and the water will not close over the road, probably making it more visible.

Randall Rocke

Dave,Welcome! :-)Check under Options>Lines(water mask) if all road categories are selected and rendered as solid color,white.Most importantly: change width to any number of pixels, default is set to 0 and I think it's a bug. Don't forget the "update" button each time you change the width.If you want, check the 3D option as well, will make it look more like a bridge.As a guideline, the watermask is rendered separately by TS; white is opaque and black is full sky reflection (depends on the number in the fly.ini). But you are free to choose any shade of grey for water surfaces to tune down reflection a bit. Experiment!(for ex: 50%grey)Hope this helps!Pascal

Guest Davetron

Hi Randall, Thanks a lot for the response. I did some scenery for FLY 2K and am experimenting with Fly II. I will heed youradvice and let you know what I find. Thanks again, Dave

Guest Davetron

Hi Pascal, Thanks again for the response. Now I think I have the info.to solve my problem. I am still getting my feet wet with FLY IIand scenery. Once again, appreciate the help! Dave

You're quite welcome - I'm sorry that it took so long for us to respond...to much work and too little play!Pascal brought up some great ideas - some that I haven't thought about.

Randall Rocke