Sign in to follow this  
Guest jomar111

how do you cut control surfaces in 3DSMax?

Guest jomar111

hello everyone!had a quick question...how do you cut from the wing, flaps and ailerons?i have all the vertices matched and ready to cut the control surfaces, but i've run into problems lately when i try to do this operation (detach? modifier) and lost lots of work i did. thanks!jomar111

Guest CaptainJ

Hi again!this is a easy one! just make a box that will cover the aileron on the wing! go to the Boolean operator select the wing then make sure you select refine from the list and select the "B" part the box! convert it to editable mesh and hit polygons then you'll see that the cutt out is lighted up in red then the only thing you have to do is detach these highlighted polygons from your wing! Oh and after the cut there are no polygons created at the border from where the aileron was attached to the wing so you'll have to make these polygons your self!Take care,

Guest jomar111

Thanx Jarno, it worked perfectly! really appreciate the help! yeah I saw the missing faces and placed/created them using create face and clicking on the veticiesagain thank you!romanjomar111

Thanks Jarno,I picked up on your advice to Jomar I'm not exactly sure of what I did but by following your post I found that I can cut out the wing no problems but for some reason I don't have to fill in the faces of the cut-out. 3dsMax seems to do it automatically..??? The box and its contents however just disappears into the bowels of the program never to be seen again. Thanks for the tip. It will save a lot of work in modelling an aircraft.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest CaptainJ

Hi Roger,The boolean operator provides a wide variety of different cut outs, probably you have used "subtraction B-A" when you wanted to save the contents of which is covered by the box you better use cut -> refine after the proces you convert the object to editable mesh and select polygons you'll see your cutout is highlighted in red! just detach these polygons and rebuild the missing polygons! no big deal :-)

G'day Jarno,Yes I did use subtraction A-B and the process occurred immediately I selected the Box as B. I will try using all the different variety of cuts just to see the difference. Now its off to have a go at cockpit windows. :-)I'm at the begining of a pretty steep learning curve. Thanks again for the help.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest CaptainJ

Hi Rodger,Keep in mind that sometimes the subtraction A-B doesn't work or the cutout get's ugly! that's just a big disavandced of the boolean operator it means that one of the objects is to complex! just use simle objects (low polys) with subtraction A-B otherwise I'll advise you to try refine which will mostly work 9 out of the 10 times!Goodluck

G'day Jarno, Thanks again for the tip about using the boolean operatorI've managed to cut out the cockpit (A-:( but am having some difficulty using the cut...refine and trying to save the face as a window. Never mind I'll keep at it.I'm using the fuselage as A and a simple Box as B and the results haven't been too bad. I've also been trying to follow Jeans tutorial re cleaning up unattached verticies. It's very difficult to find the little offenders but I've managed to weld a few vertex's together. :-) It's going to be a long slow process but I'm determined to learn how to use 3dsMax to make an aircraft.Attachment is my learning aircraft. Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day Harald,Yep it's meant to be a Short Skyvan. Thanks for the encouragement. It's good to know that at least it's recogniseable. :-)Thanks also for the great .url I haven't got any detail photos and these are great. I can see many detail changes I can add to the model to improve it. I basically decided on the short because of it's design simplicity, ie. boxiness and rectangular sections, which I thought would be easier for a first time effort. Hah! I've had all sorts of problems.Thanks for sharing,Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day Jarno,Ah nice smooth lines there mate. Takes me back to the days when I was working in Singapore for MSA on their F-27's. Great modelling Jarno, I look forward to this one from the team.Cheers,Roger @YSSY