Sign in to follow this  
Guest jomar111

Animation of Aircraft Questions

Guest CaptainJ

Hi Roman,here some answers to you!1 - has to be extended on the first frame also the suspension is extended in that frame. make sure you animate the suspension just from frame 0 to frame 1 not more! also if this is didicult you can leave out the suspension Fly! does'nt crash if you leave it out of the model. but then you have to make sure that you don't assign the suspension in your WHL file just leave that suspension tag empty!2 - all control surfaces like aileron, rudder, elevator etc has to be begin at frame 0 till frame 31 so you have got a total of 32 frames. the nutral position is about 15/16 then! But rememver that during the export the you put the slider not more then 30 frames!!!!! otherwise fly will crash! 3 - make sure that always the body part is the root part! or Fly! will CTD. the doors are directly linked to the body if there's nothing between the door and the body! for example you'r about to link the nosegear then it goes as follows;nosewheel -> nosesteering -> nosesuspension -> noseleg -> bodythe doors goes directly to the bodyhope this helps you a bit! ;)Jarno

Guest jomar111

thanx Jarno,got it all thanx for your help, I've done everything but when I go to load the s3d model, Fly crashes... I think this is because my s3d file is 17.8 megabytes, does that matter? hmmm, I'm going to try optimizing the model...(that'll take a while!)thanx romanjomar111

Guest CaptainJ

Hi Roman,I think your model exceeded the maximum polygon amount which is set by fly to 20.000 max! always try to use the lowest polygon ie for a cylinder of the body part I always use 18 sides and about 25 height caps! try this -> go to the menu on your right click on that little hammer you see, select more -> click on polygon counter out of that list I hope for you that you didn't exceed the 20.000 polygons otherwise I'am afraid you have to redo your whole model a make it up out of less polygons straight from the beginning! Fly is also limited in how many objects there are allowed this is set for a maximum of 100 objects you can easly view this in File -> summary info under objects in that list you'll see your amount of objects in that scene! hope this will guide you a bit! good luck.......(edit -> normaly a s3d is about 10 Mb but that's about maximum that's why I was afriad that you overdue your model a bit with to many polygons end edit)

Guest jomar111

Yeah,Thank you Jarno, actually Chris Wallace told me that. although he said ten thousand max so I got it down to 8800 or so it may run pretty quick! I had it to 34502 faces musta been that! thanx, though, for that little tidbit of info about the poly counter. I tried loading it up though and got an error parsing extention header and a string value following that like -0.03839 or something what does that mean? (could the error be because of the wheels not being textured) hmm I shoulda textured them, I completely forgot :-bang =^*thanxromanjomar111ps I'm also posting pics of my animation, tel me if its right I'm gonna doo 4 pics representing F0,F10,F20,F30 attachment #1 will be F0- attachment #2 will be F10 and so on

Guest CaptainJ

Hi Roman,I have no idea what that error line means I have never seen it during the proces! anyway it shoud'nt bee because of not texturing the wheels if something is not textured the editor will use the whole tif file on that specific part that has'nt been textured! I looked at your animation but it shoud be the other way around F0 must be the frame that everything is extended regarding the landinggear! and F31 shoud be everything up (retracted) the rest of the animated parts shoud be ok! if the ailerons are not going the right way in fly itself it can be easly fixed by adding a line under the tag of the ailerons in the WNG file!Also Richard made it possable for us with his last patch that the fly editor allows 20.000 instead of the previous 10.000 polygons.hope this helps you getting through the weekend! :-)

Guest jomar111

thanx Jarno, I'm slowly working to get in the keyframe editor but its slow going truely its a test of patienceaccording to chris wallace, my s3d is has "garbage" in it so I'm reviewing the s3d to see what it isromanjomar111

Guest Chris Wallace

Roman,That 10,000 figure of mine was just a guess from memory, I'm sure Jarno is correct that the true limit is 20,000.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Chris Wallace

This was the strangest thing I've seen...Roman's model seemed to be exported correctly, but after the posOrientList extension, there was a garbage line with just two float values (like a partial vertex list entry), then a whole slew of lines with three float values that I'm sure were vertex list entries, then another set of partTree, posOrientList, etc. extensions. By deleting everything from the first garbage line to the end of the file, it successfully imported. It's almost like there was some sort of file corruption going on, it's hard to see how the exporter could have generated all of that garbage data after successfully writing the complete S3D file.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest jomar111

cool thanx a million guys, you really help to clear up a lot of stuff for me! I think the Mac version of the editor is acting not the way it should, so I'm buying the PC version (this way I can test my stuff for both pltforms too). a question or two, would you know if flyscripts 2 will ever come to the mac? And what would you say about putting a couple "panels" that are really just a window seat, looking out onto the wing? It would be awesome for the caravelle beacause of its unique windows! Tell me what you think.