Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ideas

Water showing as Land

Guest Ideas

I am trying to use Terrascene 2.1 to do the Hudson River Valley but the water keeps showing up as land. Can someone please help, I started out a "Hippy" and am now bald!

Have you had success with TS before? What Render Pak are you using and which global tile(s) are you rendering?

Randall Rocke

Guest Ideas

Yes, I have had success (both before trying the Hudson River Valley and after) (which is why this is so confusing).Tiles: 202-160, 202-161, 202-162, 203-160, 203-161, 203-162

Are you using the base render pak or another? Are you using water masking? Is all the water "land" or just portions of it?

Randall Rocke

Guest Ideas

Base Render Pak, Tried both watermask and None (Watermask comes up Blank) All water shows as Land (Different Land Texture)

Hello!Could you please post an sample of what you get? Preferably where the water is filled with another texture. I'd like to see if what I suspect is true.Pascal

I agree with Pascal - an example would be helpful. Also, please list the global tile your example comes from. I may have time this weekend to run a test on the area.

Randall Rocke

Guest Ideas

This is 172-152 (San Diego California Area) it is doing the same as NY Hudsson Valley was doing, notice the Ocean is land mass...

Interesting...When you have your project loaded and you go to Options, Land Types (Day)... check the texture for Water, Ocean... and Water, Lakes - the texture should be base/water-ocean.jpgGo to Options, Land Types (water mask)... check the settings for Water - Streams and Canals; Water - Lakes; Water - Reservoirs; Water - Ocean... - they should all be set to Color Only with black as the color. All other land type categories should be set to None (transparent). If any of that is changed, you've somehow edited your render paks or are using the wrong pak - I doubt that's the case, but it's worth checking.Next check Project, Advanced Options... In the Advanced Properties window that appears, there should be addresses assigned to download data from the USGS for all file types needed - for water there should be paths to the USGS for DLG and LULC data.Do all of these exist or is something missing? Were there any improper texture assignments in the render pak?I wouldn't be surprised to see land created in large bodies of water - after all, everyone knows it's water, so the USGS only has water data that goes out a short distance. Eventually, you're going to get some land texture put in (usually the swamp background texture) as soon as you run out of water data. That's why we always render first, edit the land out of the water areas and/or water mask, then rerender and slice the scenery. However, there should at least be some water on the shore before the data runs out - it looks like the area is either not being represented as water at all (water area not being identified in the data), or the texture for water has been reassigned.

Randall Rocke

Guest Ideas

Okay, I tried the fixes you thought of to no avail. I have now re-installed Terrascene 2.1 but have to wait as it appears the usgs site is having problems. (Knowing "Uncle Sugar" it won't be back until tomorrow.)

Ideas,Sorry for the late answer. Now with the USGS problem, doens't help much. But when thing are back to normal, try this:Open "Land types (day)"Go to the last texture in the list: "Background texture"Change the default texture to some water textureSame with "Land types (water mask)"Change it to "color only" and select black if you want animated water or some grey shade for more realistic looking water.Tell me about the result.Some explanation: the information for water surfaces seems to be missing from the datas. TS draws the background texture (swamp-bog.jpg) where there's nothing else defined, and that seems to have happened on the picture you posted.All the best!Pascal

Have you attempted to rerender any portion of this since the USGS data became available again? I'm guessing that you weren't getting some LULC and DLG data and the background texture replaced the missing data.

Randall Rocke

Guest Ideas

I re-installed everything and got it working...