Sign in to follow this  
Guest Motormouse

Silly question, where do I find

Guest Motormouse

the base textures pack for TerraScene.I've just installed both ts21_full.zip and ts21_update.zip,read the manual and tried to find the base texture pack here at Avsim,anyone know where to find it??I've had Fly!2 for a while now, but only just got a system big enoughto run it on :-):-wavePete

Hi Pete,It's really easy to get confused on this one - the base texture pack was removed by the author from public access and hasn't been available for a long time. It was designed specifically for Fly!/Fly!2K resolution levels and would not be appropriate for most Fly!II scenery production.Follow the new extraction instructions that are included with TS - as a part of it's installation, TS will extract a new base texture pack from your Fly!II installation. This will be listed in TS as the Base Fly!2 Generic Textures (7.5 m/p) render pak. Use this pak to render your Fly!II scenery.The extraction will create over a 100 textures, which you can also access to create your own custom render paks for different areas of the world.

Randall Rocke

G'day Pete,I may not be 100% correct here but on installation terrascene extracts its textures from Fly! II. The process takes a few minutes. There used to be a set of textures by "How in the world" but they were removed from freeware access. As far as I'm aware there are no other texture packs available for use for Fly! II.If there are then I want them! :-)Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest Motormouse

Thanks Randall and Roger.Perhaps you'd be kind enough to help me out with this one;having installed TS2.1 to its' own program folder,when I 'click' the Terrascene.exe, nothing happens,I am not presented with the 'new wizard interface' thats' mentioned in the readme and after a while I get one of those'program has stopped responding' messages.Any ideas, or have I messed up the installation somehow?:-wavePete

Guest Motormouse

tried a 'clean' re-install of just Ts2.1.zip (exe) afterdeleting/un-installing and wiping free disc space,it still doesn't run ! Someone got a fix for this?:-wavePeteThink I fixed it :-)Command path in the .lax file was too long!!!

OK - Let us know how it goes. On some occasions it is necessary for PC users to update their Java Runtime.

Randall Rocke

Guest Jak Fearon

>G'day Pete,>>I may not be 100% correct here but on installation terrascene>extracts its textures from Fly! II. The process takes a few>minutes. There used to be a set of textures by "How in the>world" but they were removed from freeware access.> As far as I'm aware there are no other texture packs>available for use for Fly! II.>>If there are then I want them! :-)>>Cheers,>>Roger @YSSYGuys,We've just made our original TerraScene2 texture pack available once again (with updates color correction, etc.) at our web site after almost a three year absense. They are no longer free (which has somewhat to do with the legal issue reasons why we took them down ages ago), but there are a full 237 textures in the set (the package includes both the generalNorth American style set as well as the world textures set) for a very reasonable price.I would love to see people finally be able to use these textures for the purpose they were intended. Please see our web site for more details if you're interested (site link in my sig).Jak Fearonhow in the world?http://www.howintheworld.com

Guest Jak Fearon

>Jak,>>Nice to see the textures are back and thanks for letting us>know.>>What ever happened to that magnificent 747 shown in your>portfolio? Do you still have the files?>>Take care,>>http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpgThanks Alejandro.The 747 project was unfortunately never finished, largely due to my own fault with getting busy on helping to create Fly!II. I do still have the 3D files somewhere on CD, yes, and maybe someday I'll get around to trying to finish it up. :)Jak Fearonhow in the world?http://www.howintheworld.com

Guest Fly II Pilot

Jak,It's really nice to see you're still around.I know very well about your involvement with Fly! II; you never know when those kind of skills can become handy again...Let me know if you need help on the 747, maybe if we join forces we can finish it faster... ;-)Take care,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest tonyc

that's fantastic, Jack. Thanks.tony

Guest DonB_1

Jak,That's good news! Two questions though, first, will these texture packs have 256 colors or 56 like the default. Second, I noticed on your site that the texture packs will continue to be 15m/pixel. Any chance of an upgrade to 7.5m/pixel to match the Fly! 2 resolution? Regardless, thanks for making these wonderful textures available again to the Fly! community. Also good to see your name on these boards again.Don

Guest Jak Fearon

>Jak,>>That's good news! Two questions though, first, will these>texture packs have 256 colors or 56 like the default. Second,>I noticed on your site that the texture packs will continue to>be 15m/pixel. Any chance of an upgrade to 7.5m/pixel to match>the Fly! 2 resolution? Regardless, thanks for making these>wonderful textures available again to the Fly! community. Also>good to see your name on these boards again.>>DonDon,The textures are full 24bit color, in JPG format. I should probably make a note of that somewhere on the page.I think you may be getting confused with what happened to the Fly!II textures we made. We delivered them to TRI in full 24 bit format, but when they put them into the sim they dithered them all down to 256 colors. We weren't aware of that until the sim shipped, when we saw that everything looked a little dull. Had we known they were going to do that, we would have designed them in 256 colors to begin with, in order to keep the color fidelity. It was pretty disappointing when we saw them, as if you could see the originals that we made, the difference is quite noticeable. I've actually thought about e-mailing TRI to ask if we could perhaps release the original set in the full color range that they were intended. I'm not sure if they'd want to do that or not, but it is something we've thought about.Regarding this set of textures we've just put up, yes they are 15 meters per pixel. The reason is because when we were contracted to do the Fly!II generic textures, Rich and the team had concerns that the free TerraScene2 texture set were were gearing up to do at the time would compete in resolution with the Fly!II textures. For that reason it was decided to make the TS2 set 15 meters per pixel. However, you will find that many of the textures (basically anything but the city types) can actually pass as 7,5 meters per pixel when blended with regular 7.5 meter textures.We may at some point release a higher resolution set, most likely 1:1. For now though I just kept looking at those TerraScene2 textures sitting on my hard drive all this time, and decided it was high time to try and figure out a way to make them available again. I hope they can be useful for the scenery community.Jak Fearonhow in the world?http://www.howintheworld.com