Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

3ds max and textures................help !

G'day all,After 3 solid days of trying I have finally managed to get my first two models into Fly! II :-jumpy BUT, geez, in the process I must have had every possible error message conceivable. :-)My question is a very simple one. If I have a jpg graphic in Photoshop, what do I have to do to get 3dsMax to recognise it as a material in the material library?Attached is the fruits of my effort so far. Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest CaptainJ

Hi Rodger,Here an little explenation! in the matreial editor just click on one of the sphere's that hasn't got a texture. go to the list down the sphere's check the difuse box! there's a list appearing now called Material Map/Browser click on the very top button which says "Bitmap" then you can select your texture from your Harddrive and it will load automatically on the sphere you selected first.to assign a texture to your model just select the object first in the scene. And make the texture sphere active from which you would like to have the texture from after that you have to hit the "Assign material to selection" symbol (Sphere with an arrow to the box)after that assign an "UVW map" to the object to allign the texture you'll find that in the modifier list down the bottum somewhere!sure looks nice Rodger! good luck, I'am here when you need me......http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/62324.jpg

G'day Jarno,Thank you for your assistance. I wouldn't have figured that out in a million years! I'd basically figured out the assigning textures and uv mapping but occasionally I'd get an error "cylinder 53 (untextured) followed by a string of giberish co-ordinates and letters.I'm sure you will be hearing from me pleading for help in the not too distant future. :-)Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Beautiful work, Roger! Glad Jarno is always around when needed for 3dS Max help! Looking forward to a release - especially the Opera House!Gud-On-ya, Mate! :-beerchugCheers! Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

G'day Ken,Thanks for the encouragement. I can lap plenty of that up :-)Up close the opera house is very very basic. The sails are all wrong and the textures are just plain .. yuk. Thanks to Jarno's help I will be able to make some better textures.I did see a long time ago both the harbour bridge and the opera house both beautifully modeled by Vin Scimone for Danny Vickers but I haven't seen either of them on the forum for over a year now.I have a long way to go getting to know about 3dsMax/Fly!II but these are my first models so I'm happy to just get them into Fly! II.Love the Seawind :-)Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day Roger!Wow! These models look great! I could see my way clear to beta test for you if you like (grin). That's about all I'm good for... I really admire you and all the great designers and repainters out there. I have most of your planes and love them.Stay well and prosperous!Earl