Sign in to follow this  
Guest bisa

an old FAQ

Guest bisa

friends I was checking the contents of my old and retired pc and found out a copy of A FLY! FAQ which I am not sure I uploaded somewhere. I know that some parts are obsolete, and

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Biber,thank you for posting this valuable "know how" not to get lost somewhere in cyberspace.I would like to use this opportunity to thank you for all your wonderful models, especially your ships as I am living in a maritime environment (and like to "sim" it).Would you allow to repaint your models (make them more local) and use them in upcoming sceneries if (of course) credit is given to your original work?But after all it's a pity for us FLY!ers that you had to stop your work as more of these outstanding models would be great for FLY!.I wish you all the best for your life and thank you once again.Best regards Georg (EDDW)BTW: first time going for holidays to Turkey this year with wife and kids, we are very curious ..

Guest bisa

hello Georg,repaints are no problem, new model requests are welcome, only I can't promise about the timing.if you visit istanbul some time, would be pleased meeting you and your familyI will be following this forum more often.thanks for your interest biber

G'day Biber,Long time no hear from you. Great to see you are still going to be around occasionally. Thanks for all the info on modelling; I have your "Biberall" mlf and use your models to decorate what would otherwise be a dreary bit of scenery.Would you mind if this post is uploaded to a new site "Fly!IIdevelopers.com" as a tutorial as it contains so much invaluable information it would be a shame to lose it.I have been toying with 3dsMax to make some models. Could you pleasevery briefly give a few hints on how to add night lights. :-)Thanks for your input into making my hobby that much more enjoyable.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest bisa

Hi roger,the answer is hidden in the faq above;When night time comes, fly automatically replaces the daytime model with the night version.The replacement includes both MODEL and the TEXTURE.Assume you place a model called myhouse.smf which is textured with myhouse.tif.At night, fly looks for night-version files (which have to be myhousen.smf and myhousen.tif), if they are found they replace the daytime model.which means, you export the same myhouse.smf as it is just renaming it myhousen.smf, additional you have to make a night texture out of myhouse.tif and re-name it myhousen.tif.briefly you just play with the texture, doing nothing in 3dsmax as far as night lighting is concerned.this is what I remember after two years :-)you surely can upload the faq into your websiteall the best,biber

G'day Biber,OK thanks for that. I'll give it a try. It will be nice to see the Sydney harbour bridge under lights.The website isn't mine but one that has been started with the express purpose of having this sort of info made available to all for the benefit of developing for Fly! II.Thanks again for all your hard work.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest CaptainJ

Hi Biber,In the past I made some models which can be landed on with a helicopter! but every time I tried to land on it it sinks right trough the model! I experienced that this didn't happen when the model was constructed out of a solid "Box" but I needed to create a platform like an oilrig. Do you know how this can be done in 3DS?Thanks

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Biber,first of all thank you very much for your invitation and hospitality. If you ever will come to the region of Bremen, let me know. But this time the holidays will be more for the kids (12/16) with beach-fun than for the adults with sight-seeing and a little culture.I am very surprised that there is A CHANCE of getting some more of your wonderful work in the future, that would be great for FLY! and the whole community as every developer counts and your models are a "basic" for FLY! scenery development.If you ever have some time in the future my personal wish would be to get 2 generic objects (may be in different versions) - generic high-voltage pole(s), generic windmill(s). In many, many countries they are important obstacles and very important for VFR flying (1. nav 2.the last generation of windmills reach a height of about 300 ft AGL).I show two photos to demonstrate this (really bad, but I did not find some better on the hurry). But please, this is only a suggestion, EVERY new "Biber"-model is very wellcome!Thank you once again for your work I enjoy every time simming with FLY!.Best regardsGeorg (EDDW)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/71898.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/71899.jpg

Guest bisa

You can not control object hardening from within 3dsmax. The property of hardening has to be controlled in the object properties in the mlf file as far as I remember. Please check the property of a landable object like helipad in the respective mlf and check out the different attributes. Then you can export your object in two parts, the landable part and remainder part. Then in the mlf give the hardening attribute to the landable part only.Too complicated? give me a few days and I will check out....all the bestbiber

Guest CaptainJ

Hi Biber,thanks for the reply!I don't really understand what you mend with Object Properties. Where and how can I see the properties of an object?Thanks,

Guest bisa

captain,object properties were set in two ways;1. in the mlf file;for instance, for the model rsilo.smfrsilo.smf,"Silo A",CGhlnstu,Rural Modelseach letter in the serial CGhlnstu had an attibute with regard to the property of the object rsilo.smf2. in the smf file itselfyou open up smf file with notepad.exe and change some codes like opaque,opaquel setting but there are many parameters and codes which I can not remember exactly their meaningsa search in this forum may help thoughbiber