Sign in to follow this  
Guest roland_lfor

Another weather question for David Sandberg

Guest roland_lfor

Hi David,I have a problem after importing a METAR in Fly! through SquawkBox :- I create a temp file with a unique airport METAR,- Then I use APILoadMetar() func to load the temp file in Fly!,- The clouds, temperature, Qnh ... are updated in Fly!But the altimeter does not show the correct value.Strange effect : after importation, if I open the menu "Weather->Other" and validate it with "OK" button, without any change, the altimeter refreshes iself to a right value after a few seconds.Do you have any idea ?Thanks

Guest DSandberg

Sorry that I haven't got very much to tell you on this. I never witnessed this to happen in any version of Fly while loading METARs through Fly's UI, but then again I never implemented an SDK version of METAR loading, other than a very brief test in Fly 2 (which showed me what some of the other problems with this approach would be). If I had to guess, I'd say APILoadMetar() isn't forcing the panel instruments to refresh their data (I know that is just restating the obvious), whereas the built-in weather UI must know how to force this to happen before it returns control to the sim. I wouldn't be totally shocked if there is an SDK function that specifically forces a refresh of gauges and other such things. Unfortunately I can't tell you if there is or not, as I haven't got the SDK docs close at hand. Anyone else know (as this probably wouldn't be a weather-specific thing)?- David

Guest roland_lfor

Thanks David,I looked for such function in the SDK many times without success.Other strange thing : if I use the Fly! menu to load my temp Metar, I have exactly the same false altitude ! So the APILoadMetar() seems to do exactly the same threatment than the Fly! menu.Then, perhaps that the problem exists also when importing InfoMetar files regarding the displayed altitude ?

Guest DSandberg

Hmm. I don't remember ever seeing that particular problem in Fly 2 during any of my testing. I'll see if I can duplicate it.- David

Guest DSandberg

Alas, someone else will have to look into this. I reconfigured and slightly upgraded my computer a few months ago, partially in the hopes that it would be able to run Fly 2 somewhat better. Unfortunately I found last night that Fly 2 experiences even more problems on my upgraded system, so for the time being I'll be unable to do any testing on the sim. Sorry ...- David

Guest tonyc

Can you be more specific, David. I've run fly2 with a G3 ti200 and an amd 2000 quite well, either with Win98 or xp. Usually it's the render.ini that may affect performance.....tony

Guest DSandberg

P3-550, GF3 Ti 500, WinME. Not only was the framerate still awful, but Fly 2 wouldn't even recognize my USB controllers this time around. (I seem to recall the controllers at least worked the last time I tried.)

Guest tonyc

David,I know that USB sometimes is not activated in BIOS( assumint that in your WinMeControl panel your joystick is listed, right?). Also, assuming that the joystick is recognized in Windows, you need to go into FLY2 Optionsetup axis and move your various joystick for recognition. At first, the screen is empty, but as you move the joystick the screen will recognize an axis and so on. And the poor frame rate sounds like you might need to calibrate your FLY2 Graphics screen ( ALT key during FLY2 initial loading). Here, you want to make sure that FLY2 has recognized your video card correctly. Also, in the OptionsScenery menu( in the program), be sure to turn the medium and High resolution radius setting bars to the lowest. After you've done this, see if you 're in better shape. Roland has put together a fantastic Sbox,which I am beta testing, and the real weather updates are just phenomenal:-)Also, upload your render.ini for us. We'll take a look at it and advice.tony

Guest DSandberg

As far as USB goes, I actually had already done/verified the things you've suggested. The devices (CH USB Flight Sim Yoke and USB Pro Pedals) are listed and working in the Control Panel, and also are working perfectly in other applications (including FS2002). But when I moved the yoke and pedals in my attempt to set them up in the "Setup Axis" dialog in Fly 2, those motions were never detected.As far as the graphics and framerate are concerned, I know I could have probably improved the situation a bit with some additional time and experimentation, but I just didn't have the patience to bother with it after I wasn't even able to get my controllers to be recognized by the sim.Anyway, thank you for the advice, Tony. If you have any more thoughts about why Fly 2 might not be able to detect the movements of my controllers (keeping in mind that the controllers are working otherwise), please do tell.- David

Guest Colins2

Hi David,It's strange that Fly! won't see the JS if Windows does?You could try deleting "default.key" and let Fly! re-create it for you. It may or may not have any effect.Colin

Guest Fly II Pilot

David,Have you used CH Control Manager and/or CMstart? If so, Fly! may be trying to find that device per the default.key file.If you're not using them, you want to give them a try. Both are available from www.chproducts.comRegards,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg