Sign in to follow this  
Guest desmondw

Need "How to" on creating DME & Markers

Guest desmondw

Hi Folks, looking for a SIMPLE guide on creating DME's. I have thanks to the excelent ILS tutorial by Robert Pelletier a little while back managed to put all the posted ILS approaches I have for Canada at the appropriate airports & they work superbly. Now I would like to know how to create a DME for some of them. i.e. what location do I set for them Lat & Long. I see from Harolds tutorial from some time back that the number is 16 instead of 64 or 128 but I don't know where the number is derived from. Is it some point along the runway for example? Also I would like to learn how to put in OM MM IM for these.Thanks in advance for anything on these.Desmond

Desmond,Do the ILS approaches have DMEs in real life? Placing markers & DMEs is not much different than placing the localizers. When I build an ILS, I obtain all the info I can about the approach - there are a number of resources that contain ILS information. ILS data normally includes the lat/lon location of each transmitter, and I place each accordingly.The component identifiers are:--DME: 16--Inner Marker: 512--Middle Marker: 1024--Outer Marker: 2048If you don't have the lat/lon data available, then use the IAP for the approach and interpolate the positions by measuring the distance indicated from the threshold. A great tool for this is the Fly! Distance & Bearing Calculator by Colin Sare-Soar.Examples:1. If there is a DME that measures 0.0 at the threshold, then place the DME next to the threshold. You can find its location by using the cursor in the Fly!2 Editor. If the DME indicates 1.1 miles at the threshold, then use the Calculator: find the threshold lat/lon in the Editor, then let the Calculator find the new lat/lon by measuring 1.1 miles from that point on a bearing that aligns with the runway.2. For markers, using the IAP's distance info, again use the Calculator and measure out from the threshold lat/lon along the reciprocal heading of the localizer the distance indicated on the approach plate. The new lat/lon is where the marker should be placed.

Randall Rocke

Guest desmondw

Hi Randall, Thankyou for your excelent reply. I am getting the ILS info from the Terminal Area Charts & yes some of the approaches do have OM & DME's. I think now you point it out that I should be able to find the OM Lat/Lon with my scaling rule so will be able to do them. Thankyou again for the prompt reply.Desmond

Guest desmondw

Hi Randall, Thankyou for the reply yesterday & also the link for today, I have just downloaded it so will be doing some studying of it hopefully tonight. Desmond

Guest Colins2

Desmond,If you have any problems/queries with the calculator, just drop me a line or post here.ColinPS Randall, thanks for the plug :-) Nice to see it's still in use!

Guest desmondw

Hi Colin, Thankyou for a superb tool. I have not had much time to do much with it but did start getting the feel of it & it definitely does seem to be nice & easy to use so I hope I will be giving it quite a workout over the next while. I aprieciate your support also.Desmond