Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

FLY to FLY2 plane conversion...

Guest tonyc

I wish we had a bit more information on how to convert successfully FLY to FLY2 aircrafts. It's a shame that some aircrafts, such as the dc3, the b25, and the emb 120 are gathering dust in the hangar.The only documentation by ALAn Kaiser has a few missing pieces which, unfortunately, stop the process cold.If anyone has a 1-2-3 solution, I'd appreciate some pointers.Thanks.tony

G'day Tony,Mate I believe you need the original aircraft 3d model files. This means that only the author (if he has kept his files) can convert an aircraft from Fly! to Fly! II.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest tonyc

You're right, Roger. That's why I am hoping there's someone who has a solution.tony

Guest tonyc

Hi Alex. It's those pesty bin files that need to be converted into s3d format. I used the bins3d utility but get errors. I tried converting the emb120 brasilia...., and the dc3...:-)tony

Tony,I printed off a detailed document from the web a couple of years ago written by Marty Schultz which spells out the whole process of converting Fly planes to Fly2. I recall that you have to remodel items such as the prop and spinner as Fly2 animates them separately whereas Fly used a simpler modelling process. There's also quite a lot of changes required to the .prop, .svh, etc files but again these are all spelled out. Having said that, I haven't actually tried to remodel an aircraft as I have no experience in modelling and animating. I wanted to convert the Fly C152 as I was training in one at the time and Fly2 doesn't have one (even though it is the most common ab-initio training aircraft on the planet!). I'm doing Nav training in the C172 now so I've put it on the back burner, however in the near future when I graduate to the Mooney it will be back on the table as Fly also had this aircraft whereas Fly2 doesn't.I can't remember where I found it on the net but if you need it, I could see about getting a copy to you.Regards,Ken Brandhttp://members.optusnet.com.au/~kmbrand/mypic1.jpg"Aviation combines all the elements I love:Science, Freedom, Beauty, Adventure.As a pilot we must be at least proficient in all elements"- Charles Lindbergh.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Ken,I have a copy of the document you mention. I also have the TrueSpace files of the Mooney from Tim Samuel and also a TS converter that Bart sent me. I also started the Mooney project before I joined F2FD but 3D modeling is not my thing so I put it aside.I'll be glad to send to you everything I have on the Mooney. Just let me know.Regards,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Thanks Alejandro,I'd love to get hold of the Mooney files. I'm a bit like you, 3D modelling is a little out of my field, so I'll have to get my head around Truespace before getting much further. Are you able to email the files to me or do you have other means?Ken Brand (YPJT)http://members.optusnet.com.au/~kmbrand/mypic1.jpg"Aviation combines all the elements I love:Science, Freedom, Beauty, Adventure.As a pilot we must be at least proficient in all elements"- Charles Lindbergh.

Whoops, it wasn't Marty Schultz it was Alan Kaiser, I just checked my reams of documents at home. Marty has written some handy documents about scenery editing and creation. Alan wrote the Fly to Fly2 conversion doc.Ken Brandhttp://members.optusnet.com.au/~kmbrand/mypic1.jpg"Aviation combines all the elements I love:Science, Freedom, Beauty, Adventure.As a pilot we must be at least proficient in all elements"- Charles Lindbergh.

Guest tonyc

It's a great document, and I have it. I guess the problem is converting the 3d and animation files. tony

Guest Fly II Pilot

Tony,The problem with that BIN converter (that's actually for MTM) is that it only uses one texture. I think that document assumes that you have the original 3D model used to create the BIN file.I would suggest that you contact the original authors of those Fly! aircraft and ask them to share with you the original 3DMax or TrueSpace files.Regards,Alexhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

G'day Alex and Tony,I've been following this thread with interest. As far as I know Jean Sabatier is the only person to do a conversion from Fly! to Fly! II with the Beechcraft 17-D. I vaguely remember him say something like it would be almost easier to design a new aircraft from scratch rather than convert. How about contacting him and asking? I'm sure he would be very helpful.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest tonyc

I managed to get a copy of Fs design , which has a FLY and FLY2 export capability. In fact, I loaded some standard msfs 2000 mdl and converted them into fly2 format. Unfortunately, when I try to convert them within the FLY2 editor I receive errors which I don't understand. We need someone who takes us by the hand with fsds. It's a great way to make lots of available planes for FLY2. Giorgio, are you reading this?Tony